Cpu usage high...slowing pc way down

Discussion in 'Software' started by roemer7, Aug 22, 2006.

1. roemer7

roemer7 Private E-2

This weekend I began seeing that, when idle, my cpu usage was topping out (~100%). I looked into the processes running and found that there were several rundll32's listed using all the memory. Once I stopped these, the usage dropped to normal. But if I tried to open a program, the rundll32's came back and my usage jumped up again to 100% and everything came to a standstill.

I tried running Adaware & Spybot in safemode, but what they came up with did not help.

I'm stuck with a very, very slow pc. If anyone can tell me where to go from here I'd be thankful.

Respectfully,
    Roemer7

2. Dreamer

Dreamer Corporal

Go to Start -> run, In the Run box, type "Rundll32.exe advapi32.dll,ProcessIdleTasks". This frees up any idle tasks running in the background so that Windows XP can devote its full attention to what you want it to do. This will cause your PC to slow down so it can finish the idle tasks.

3. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Rundll32.exe is a program used to run dll's as programs. So unless it's a virus posing as rundll32.exe, a dll is causing this. Try to use Process Explorer to identify the culprit.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds