CPU Usage jumps 13 to 100% all the time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zoneplayer4, Jul 21, 2006.

1. zoneplayer4

zoneplayer4 Private E-2

I have a dell optiplex gx280 pentium 4 cpu 2.4 ghz, 1gb of ram xp w/sp2. Last few months puter been getting slow...checked virus, spyware, etc. so far puter clean. Found major geeks and started reading...looked at task mgr...found cpu very high..all posts say not good. Slow on all programs & applications. Avail. memory 690mb. PLEASE help...

2. infoseeker

infoseeker Master Sergeant

3. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

What processes are cuasing the CPU to hit 100%. When in task mang select Processes tab and sort by CPU, now which processes are using all the memory? Post back with some answers and we will go from there. Side point are you using Norton!?!

4. zoneplayer4

zoneplayer4 Private E-2

I have McAfee security center (personal firewall, virus scan, privacy service, spam blocker) Trend Micro and lavasoft ad-ware se professional.
    sqlserur.exe 8,136k
    sqlserur.exe 29,860k
    svchost.exe 21,200k
    Tmas.exe 13,008k
    Iexplore.exe 11,640k
    explore.exe 10,644k
    Ad-watch.exe 9,288k
    McShield.exe 9,124k
    These are the big ones, I have Directway 2/way satellite internet.
    Hope this helps.

5. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay well here are a couple of links for finding what most processors are, are the necassary and if not how to remove them:

http://www.processlibrary.com/

http://www.answersthatwork.com/

Now I could do this for you but personally I think it is a very important learning process tha everyone should do at least once. If you get stuck on it post back.

6. zoneplayer4

zoneplayer4 Private E-2

THANK YOU! Bold Eagle
    I downloaded The Ultimate Troubleshooter and was able to fix a lot of problems. I thank you very much for your help. If I need help again I know where to go to first.

7. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Hmmmm bit confused by your comment, I didn't intend you to DL a link and certainly hoped it didn't COST YOU MONEY but just tried to direct you to some links where you could explore the potential issues in greater detail. I hope you learnt something from it more than forked out any cash. Sincerely hoped you have resolved things and you can fly soar like an eagle as such:)

8. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

You have two antivirus programs installed? I would recommend that you use only 1 as having two will cause all kinds of problems.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds