Cracked laptop screen--need help with external monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kemibe, Mar 25, 2010.

1. kemibe

kemibe Private E-2

I know there are threads relating to this topic, but none offer all of the information I need.

I have a Lenovo Ideabook with a permanently trashed LCD screen (don't ask). Two issues I am unsure of how to address:

1) How do I attach an external monitor in the first place? (There is probably a basic port for this, but I am at work without the laptop and want to look into this ASAP.

2) Since when I reboot the laptop I will see nothing onscreen, what keystrokes do I need to execute in order to move my desktop display to the external monitor?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Wait, I believe it's not that simple. He needs to tell Windows to extend the desktop to that external monitor, right? How can he do that if he can't see anything on the laptop screen?

4. Stenmin

Stenmin Private E-2

I'm with Burrell on this one. I'm reasonably sure that when you hook up a second monitor to a windows system, its a clone of the first one until you make it an extended desktop.

5. Burrell

Burrell MajorGeek

Yes, as Stenmin says i'm pretty sure too that the laptop will not extend the display, but will make it a duplicate or "clone" of the original.

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

My HP laptop has a key to toggle if I want internal, external or both to display.
    Hook up the external and if is black, study the symbols on top of the function keys. One of those might be the key that toggles between displays.
    My eeepc immediately displays the same desktop on internal and external monitor with me not having to change anything.

So, look over your documentation to see which category your notebook falls into: toggle or automatic display on an external monitor.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds