Cracked LT screen pressing F8 but nothing showing up on external monitor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LoneW0lf, Jan 20, 2012.

1. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

Ok so i`ve got this old samsung laptop with a broken screen i`m trying to attach an external monitor to it,it just says out of range and that`s it, i`ve read on the net that if you boot into safe mode you hsould be able to see the picture on the monitor on the screen and then reset the refresh rate.The problem is everytime i boot up i can`t see what`s happen i keep pressing f8 and the monitor comes on for about 10 secs then`s off again.Can someone please offer me some advice, is there amanuel way to reset the RR?

cheers

LW

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Are you able to use Safe Mode - Enable VGA mode?

3. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

Nope, can`t see nothing, i looked on my netbook to see in what order safe mode was and it was the second one down for, didn`t press it on my netbook cause last time i remember doing it, you just press it and it goes straight into safe mode.

4. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Seems to me you should at least see a Samsung screen on the external. Does hitting Fn + (F#) together key make any difference when first booting up? Where F# is the F key that has a picture of two monitors on it.

5. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

Nope i tried that, don`t do nothing, twice or so the LT screen went off and the monitor screen came on and that`s when it said out of range, i`ve tried on 3 different monitors and all have same outcome.
    It`s really annoying.:cry

6. sach2

Do you have any bootable Linux discs or USB? I'm thinking you could edit the boot.ini for XP and add a line for /safemode. But I doubt this will do much because you don't seem to be even getting the low bit safe mode screen to appear and the low bit boot loader screen would be basically the same thing.

In reality, I'm not sure you are starting Windows at all. You should get a Samsung screen on the monitor no matter what the Windows resolution is and then get at least the Windows XP is starting screen before the video drivers kick in.

7. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

One other thing i forgot to mention is sometimes when i keep pressing the f8 key it`ll be.I first thought the problem was that the resolution was set to high, but then i read the refresh rate was to high.But like you just said i should ve seeing something.
    Thanks for all ya help though dude.Much appreciated.

8. sach2

It will be what?

Do you have any CD that is bootable like an old installation CD to see if you can get anything from that to show on the external? The out of range message does imply it is getting some signal from the laptop.

9. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

Sorry i missed typed i meant it`ll beep.
    I tried an old MS 98 disc i have, the DVD/CD reader sounded like it was reading/running it but nothing happened, looked for my linux one but couldn`t find it.
    In the bottom left hand corner of the cracked screen it looked like the screen changed and then it went bright cyan colour, and then just froze.

10. sach2

I'm not entirely sure a win98 disc is bootable. I seem to remember seeing that people had to boot off a floppy and then start the 98 install from there. I could be wrong about this.

11. tgell

I would follow sach2's suggestion and try booting from a linux distro like Puppy. I have found that it is very good in determining your hardware and applying the correct settings.

12. tgell

Just another thought. If the monitor you are connecting is LCD, I believe some will let you change the refresh rate through the On Screen Menu.

13. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

Tried pressing the button on the monitor but it wouldn`t let me change it.

14. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

Just out of curiosity, are you holding the Fn key while pressing the F8 key? I skimmed the thread and didn't catch any reference to it. Fn+F8 would activate the external VGA connection, not just the F8 key alone.

15. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

I tried both tbh, at first i did fn and f8 but then tried f8 itself.

16. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

I guess I skimmed a little too fast. Sach2 had already made reference to the Fn key earlier.

Do you have a higher resolution monitor you could try?

17. LoneW0lf

LoneW0lf Private E-2

Nope i tried my tv and two computer monitors, i know the tv one works fine cause i connect it to my netbook,and i know the others work aswell.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds