Crackling sound after Windows 7

Discussion in 'Software' started by Cellon, May 23, 2010.

1. Cellon

Cellon Private E-2

Crackling sound after installing Windows 7

Hello! Not too long ago I upgraded to Windows 7 from my old Windows Vista. However, all sound coming from my computer is crackling, whether it is from the built-in speakers or headphones. Furthermore, I have discovered that the crackling can be greatly reduced by choosing to play sounds in 16-bits 48000 Hz-quality in control panel. The problem is that I still hear crackling, sometimes it is a continous crackling that can annoy the crap out of you, and sometimes it's just an occasional crackle here and there. It also seems to have something to do with what kind of sound that is being played, for instance I hear almost no crackling when playing songs such as The Fray - You Found Me, but the Windows warning sound will always crackle.

As for my specs, I have an ASUS X71SL-laptop, you'll find the specs listed on http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=VUta9GoKvKtJx21G.

EDIT: probably worth mentioning that I upgraded from Vista Home Premium 32-bit to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Re: Crackling sound after installing Windows 7

You must have done a fresh install as it is impossible to upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version.

Do you have the latest drivers installed?

3. Cellon

Cellon Private E-2

Re: Crackling sound after installing Windows 7

Ah yeah, forgot to mention that. The laptop uses Realtek-drivers, but when I installed them the crackling got a whole lot worse, and changing the quality didn't change much. As for now I'm using the standard Windows 7-drivers.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

In Device Manager are there any devices with a yellow ! mark, if so what are they?

Usual suspect is the Chipset drivers are missing this aids drivers working properly.

5. Cellon

Cellon Private E-2

I'm terribly sorry for being unable to answer, had my math exam today and spent all of yesterday studying. To answer your question, there are no devices listed with a yellow exclamation mark. The chipset (SiS M671DX) are using the standard Windows-drivers, so that may be the answer. I am however unable to find any chipset drivers for ANY OS at the ASUS support page. I suppose I can't use the driver disc that comes with the PC since it's for Vista 32-bit..?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds