Crappy CRT monitor killing me eyes...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by coinbox, Jun 11, 2005.

1. coinbox

coinbox Private E-2

It used to be okay. This monitor is 4 years old. Recently, my eyes get real tired looking at it for more than half an hour (i used to play games for nearly 7-8 hours in a row). I tried adjusting the monitor's brightness and contrast. Adjusting
    it Darker means you can't see clearly. Should i get those monitor filter? I have no problem using my dad's compaq notebook. Thanks.

http://www.samtron.com/product/45bn_spec.html

2. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

make sure you have the refresh rate set high enough-so it doesn't play tricks with your eyes, I have mine set to 85 or higher.
    Also you may want to try a program called powerstrip: http://www.entechtaiwan.net/util/ps.shtm
    they have a trial version, anyway, it will let you adjust just about everything
    to do with your monitor/graphics card, that you can think of, to get the
    best possible picture, it will even let you overclock your graphics card.
    its a good program, you may want to check it out.

good luck.

3. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

you can get a viewsonic to replace that one w/ better specs for pretty cheap

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

A 4 years is nothing for a monitor,I'd guess you have updated your video card drivers and lost your refresh rates,everytime I upgrade mine I run this,

http://majorgeeks.com/RefreshForce_d1847.html

Check to see if your monitor needs drivers first by checking the website and install them first,before running this program,it will automatically detect the highest refresh rates for your monitor and apply them when you click the apply tab,if any refresh rates are below 85hz dont use themThey will damage your eyes,if when you have enabled the new refresh rates the screen looks strange and off center,click yes keep new settings and use the controls on the front of the monitor to resize the desktop,this is normal,if you get stuck just holla. :)

5. coinbox

coinbox Private E-2

My bad, the monitor is at least 8 years old. the refresh rate is 60hz(the same with my dad's notebook) I jsut think my monitor is too glaring and bright. Anyway, what refresh rate problems does refresh force really fixes? Anyway, I'm thinking of buying a filter for my monitor. What do you think?

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

What I honestly think is dont look at that monitor until you have the refresh rate above 85hz,60hz is a well known bug with nvidia drivers,reforce will detect the highest refresh rates possible by your monitor and apply them.

Have you tried it yet?

7. coinbox

coinbox Private E-2

Hmm.... I know by heart that the highest refresh rate for my current resolution(1024x768) is only 60hertz. I will need to lower the resolution if i were to use a higher refresh rate.

8. MellowMan

MellowMan First Sergeant

have you tried going down to 800X600X85hz? it's a 14' monitor.

9. coinbox

coinbox Private E-2

Yup, i'm currently trying this setting out, but stuff looks real weird especially websites(even here). Anyway, i just tried refreshforce. It says my highest supported refreshrate for 1024x768 is 72, But when i apply it, the monitor just turns blank.

10. coinbox

coinbox Private E-2

Bump. Please help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds