Crazy Man Catches A Big Crab

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by joffa, Jun 29, 2017.

1. joffa

joffa Major Geek's Official Birthday Announcer

Saw this on You Tube and thought I would share.
    It is an Aussie catching a big mud crab and he crawls into the hole where the mud crab is hiding..... how close would his face be in that confined space........ crazy :eek::eek::eek:

2. ownthree

ownthree Corporal

LOL that's scary and crazy!

3. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

lmao! What the heck?

Does one eat mud crabs? I'm glad he was out there with a buddy.

4. joffa

Mmmmm mud crabs are delicious with a nice buttery dipping sauce ;)
    The mud crabs here can weigh up to 3.5kg (7.7lbs) and up to 255mm (10") across the carapace although they are more common at smaller sizes :cool:
    In Florida you guys have Stone Crabs that are supposed to be delicious too and Here is a link
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Florida_stone_crab

Yep Laura, the guy in the video is crazy. I have been out crabbing many times as they are an expensive delicacy over here and I must say I have never seen anyone crawl down to get the crab:eek: Usually you lure them out with a bit of meat tied to very strong string or you dig them out. The easiest way is to use a crab pot near low tide but over here you need to have a professional fishing licence to use a crab pot coz if you get caught there are massive fines. Big mud crabs can easily amputate fingers and toes and if they were biting your hand or foot can also do a lot of damage to bones and tendons. Sometimes they catch you by surprise as they can scuttle along quite quickly and their large pincers are very dangerous and menacing ;)

LauraR likes this.
  5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

I saw this on UK MSM this week what a nut to just dive in a hole! Love crab meat but you dont normally get much like langoustines! Crab likely a bit more but you have to fight for it! :)

6. joffa

I agree you have to fight for the crab meat on the smaller ones but the big ones are pretty good. Because they are usually small, I mostly avoid blue swimmer crabs or spanner crabs unless someone else has picked out the crab meat but big mud crabs or big coconut crabs are easy to pick yourself and are delicious. Unfortunately the big mud crabs are the most expensive so unless you can catch some yourself, you pay the big $$$ ;)

Mmmmm we do langoustines on the BBQ over here and they are yummy although I prefer large king prawns or tiger prawns as they have more meat in the tail and brushed with a spicy Portugese or Thai marinade.......delicious :D:cool:

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Sometimes I wonder about the Aussies... We have rednecks that put empty hot water heaters in the lake and dive in the water to catch catfish by hand here. No way I would do it, you cant see more than a foot or so down in the water, no telling what could be in the tank.

8. Imandy Mann

Imandy Mann MajorGeekolicious

Yep. Stone crabs are plentiful in florida. Don't know about commercial regs but for recreational only the claws are taken. Both can be taken however that leaves the crab in less than ideal conditional. Everyone I know catching these only take one claw. Very tasty!

-- Fro Florida regs --
    Yes. Both claws of a stone crab may be harvested lawfully if they are of legal size. [​IMG]Although it is currently lawful to harvest both of a stone crab's claws, this practice leaves the stone crab with few alternatives to defend itself from predators.

Although the crab can still obtain minimal amounts of food with no claws, having one claw (if the other one is harvested) will enable the crab to obtain greater amounts of food in a shorter amount of time. Stone crabs (like other crustaceans) have the ability to grow back their claws, but this process requires a large amount of energy in the form of food.

The quicker the crab can obtain the energy required to molt and grow its lost claw, the sooner this renewable delicacy will have another claw to replace the missing one.

9. Imandy Mann

I resemble that remark.

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Guess I am just part redneck, not diving into murky water, or into a hole to catch a crab. ;)

11. Imandy Mann

Some call me a redneck and reckon I am, but the rednecks got it right!

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

More my style here. (except for the tobacco part). Plus, it has Miranda in it...

13. LauraR

I love crabs...and as far as rednecks, I really don't have an opinion other than I love me some Blake Shelton. :D

We eat Blue crabs around here. We get them live...or already steamed for a couple of dollars a pound extra. If you get nice big ones (I wouldn't bother with the small ones that aren't worth the worth) and know how to open them, they are awesome. You don't even have to dig in a hole or crawl done one for them...just throw your trap in the water with some bait and there ya go...

14. Imandy Mann

15. LauraR

16. Anon-9aee479f8f

Anon-9aee479f8f Anonymized

<<< One very finicky picky eater here. Honestly you could not pay me to even try to eat a crab. Don't even want to mention eating something like crawfish.:eek: And cook my steak well done, if I see pink I am not touching it.

17. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Ewww, I used to eat well done steak, it is so much better medium rare. (Most of the red is dye to make it look pretty at the store...) But I understand picky eaters, I can't stand most vegetables, I can't comprehend how people enjoy a salad.

I would rather have an overcooked steak than a salad.

18. Anon-9aee479f8f

The reasons vary as to why I dislike some foods, it can be visual, smell, texture, or taste and the list is long. Dessert is my favorite.:D

19. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Have met very few desserts that I don't like. :)

Carrot cake though... WTF?!:(

20. joffa

Yep I get what you are saying about carrot cake o_O
    Pumpkin scones are quite popular over here and this is something else you may wish to avoid ;)

I like my steak rare although I can tolerate medium rare...... my wife on the other hand likes steak so well done that there has to be no sign that it was ever alive and if it looks like a piece of tough dry boot leather then it is nearly cooked enough lol o_O

21. Anon-9aee479f8f

Mincemeat Pie o_O Why would you ruin dessert by adding beef suet in the ingredients?:confused:

22. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Mincemeat Pie... another food disguised as a dessert. :eek:

23. legalsuit

legalsuit Legal Eagle

'fraid even Aussies wonder about some Aussies!:p

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds