Crazy Restart Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cirrusly_fast, Oct 28, 2008.

1. cirrusly_fast

cirrusly_fast Private E-2

For about 3 months now, I've been having problems with me computer restarting at random. I've gone to many different length to solve this problem and still no resolve.

I used to run a Pentium 3, 3.2 ghz, radeon 1300x, sound audigy ls, wd200 hdd, kingston 2 gb memory for gaming, and windows xp pro sp2.

I used to think it was the chip overheating so I had a huge super fast fan and heatsink and the chip was still hot so I just upgraded almost everything.

I now run a Pentium Core 2 Duo E8400 (stock fan and heatsink), intel extreme dx488t2 motherboard, nvidia geforce 8500 gt video card, sound card on mobo, and windows vista.

the case remains the same, the 2 dvd r drives remain the same, the power supply in the same although it is still relatively new since I just replaced it when I used the old setup.

since I've changed all that stuff it is still restarting at random. I did a chkdsk today and no problems.

drivers are up to date as well. I've even reinstalled vista twice. the first time was after a format of the hard drive, the other time was a reinstall. the random restarts were happening during both instances of vista.

any ideas?

2. _dinsdale_

_dinsdale_ Corporal

What about your power source? Have you tried plugging into a different circuit in your house?

Dins

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Have you run a test on the memory?

Also, change the behavior of the computer so instead of rebooting on an error, you will get a BSOD. With that you will have the exact error and also a number to look up.
    1. Right click 'My Computer'. Select 'Properties'.
    2. Select the 'Advanced' tab.
    3. Click the 'Settings' button in 'Startup and Recovery' section.
    4. A new window will open. Under 'System failure', uncheck/untick 'automatically restart'.

4. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

bad RAM or a weak power supply

5. maybeok

maybeok Private First Class

Have a Look in Your BIOS

I had the same problem about a year ogo and found it related to within the BIOS

I am using a Gigabyte Mother Board
    Your BIOS may be something alike in my Bios within
    [1]
    = "Power Managment Setup =
    [2]
    I "Disabled" = "Power on by Ring" =
    [3]
    = I Disabled" = "Resume by Alarm" =
    [4]
    Also I feel I "Disabled" "PME Event Wakeup"

Suggest that you only first try the [1] "Disabled" = "Power on by Ring" and see if helps

Regards

6. cirrusly_fast

cirrusly_fast Private E-2

thanks guys. so the memory I have now is new, the last memory test I tried to run my my computer go heywire and made a screaching sound come out of my speakers. any good ones you can recommend.

I'm hoping it isn't the power supply, that's the 3rd one I've replaced so far, but it is the only other theory I have that is causing that.

I changed the settings the get a BSOD and it's still restarting.

my BIOS doesn't have those options.

any other thoughts?

7. Recycle Bin

Recycle Bin Private First Class

try this
    control panel> Performance and maintenance>power options
    take screenies of the 1st 3 tabs

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds