Create New Text Doc Missing From Windows Explorer Context Menu

Discussion in 'Software' started by GoshenGeek, May 18, 2017.

1. GoshenGeek

GoshenGeek Corporal

System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

When I right click in Windows Explorer in the right pane and select New, the option to create a new text file is missing. This had been there but somehow was removed. Going back to a previous restore point is not an option since I don't know when this option disappeared. Reinstalling Windows 7 is also not an option.

The attached image shows the current context menu.

I don't know which of the several online options are needed to fix this problem. Would appreciate if someone would point me to the correct solution.

Thank you.
    Image.jpg

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

ShellExView is a good tool for this sort of thing. This is the second system issue you've posted about in the last day or two. You say you've run sfc but there is no reason not to try system restore as it's reversible.

3. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

Several solutions offered HERE.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Open the Registry Editor and navigate to this key:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt

Do you see the following entries?
    TXT.jpg

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You can also click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.txt
    and see if the Default under DATA is txtfile
    If it is not, edit it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds