Creating a website?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grumbles, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Hi
    Can anyone recommend a simple 'idiot-proof' place to start building my website?
    I have got the domain name and the site is live. I have heard Wordpress is easy, but after looking at it, I am not sure!
    I just want to put a few photos on it and some blogs of everyday life. I would like to have some cartoon characters on it as my child is going to feature on it too (is this flash?).
    I do not know html or anything complicated.
    Any advice or links would be appreciated.

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Start with wordpress. Its very simple, yet has lots of customization, you should be very happy with it.

3. sheesh721

sheesh721 Private First Class

Wordpress is probably best for what you intend to do right now.

Go here: http://opensourcecms.com/

Look up blogs and play with the front/backends and determine which one you like the best. They will all allow you to blog and post pictures. Make test posts etc with each one. Also what is your host and do they have an installers for you such as Fantastico? If so what software can you host install for you? I also recommend looking up the blogs theme websites and see which one has a cartoon theme you like.

They should all have easy to you wysiwyg editors standard. Make sure they have picture options included in their wysiwyg editor.

4. BlueBioroid

BlueBioroid Private E-2

Websites that provide customization is a good place to start.

Later, you might want to make personal touches all your own. In that case, you will want to know a little HTML code. There is a website that makes learning html easy and provides places where you can practice and see the result.

http://www.w3schools.com/html/default.asp

Last edited: Apr 18, 2007
  5. mulletgut

mulletgut Private First Class

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Here's a couple of free tools: Blue Voda and WebDwarf.... just Google 'em for the links....

7. Wayne82

Wayne82 Sergeant Major

whats with all the a`s :D

8. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

What a's? :)

9. Grumbles

Grumbles Bamboozled Geek

Thanks to all who have given some input - i will certainly have a look at these sites this weekend.
    Your comments are most appreciated :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds