Creative sound card failure

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Anon-7f4ca145be, Apr 14, 2007.

1. Anon-7f4ca145be

Anon-7f4ca145be Anonymized

Running XP SP2 on Dell Dimension Pentium IV with Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 (OEM) sound card. Stopped working suddenly, both Winamp and WMP have error messages similar to "no sound device found". Ran Creative diagnostics, and it passes the hardware detection but fails all drivers. Device Manager shows no problems. Downloaded current software and driver package but did not install because it could not identify the hardware. Opened the case and verified connections were OK. Speakers are OK playing system sounds. Configuration changes the past few days include the 4/10 Windows update (card worked 4/11, failed 4/12)
    So, anything else I can try to confirm a failure of the card or a software driver issue?
    Assuming the card failed I see three options and would like opinions: 1) the current card is still available for sale, but this seems wrong to install old hardware, 2) current Creative standard seems to be X-Fi XtremeMusic which appears to be the same size PCI card and will fit my configuration, or 3) Creative Live 5.1 24 bit External sound card that is getting good user reviews.

2. hugh750

hugh750 MajorGeek

You could try reinstalling you sound card drivers.

3. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I have the same exact prob..I did try installing drivers but no luck

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Do you have your install CDs? I just found mine and installed the sonic disc...now I have sound again

5. Anon-7f4ca145be

Tried the reinstall from the Sonic disc, no luck. Also ran spyware and virus scans with no issues.

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

One suggestion I was given was to remove and reinsert the card to make sure it has contact

7. DellCA

DellCA Private E-2

John here, at Dell headquarters. I was just wondering if you had tried to reseat the card, and if it did the trick. Let me know if you need any help!

8. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

I was having problems kinda like this, Creative had me do a "clean sweep" which they walked me through by email. i'll see if i still jhave it somewhere...

ahh, here it is: http://us.creative.com/support/kb/article.asp?l=3&sid=1712

from the creative tech:

9. Anon-7f4ca145be

Its fixed. About a month ago I opened the case and did my annual dusting. Decided to open it again and check all connections and card attachments. Didn't find anything that seemed loose, but after closing it up and reconnecting it worked. Thanks for all the advice.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds