Creator

Discussion in 'Software' started by peterr, Apr 15, 2017.

1. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

I read things to do prior to installation of this update;
    remove all 3rd party apps like Chrome, MBAM etc
    run SFC
    unplug all but monitor mouse and keyboard
    disable Defender
    disable firewall
    Thee were other warnings also.

I will wait for the update instead of rushing so bugs if any will be worked out.

I hope some 3rd party apps can be installed and function after the update. especially Macrium reflect free.

I realize there will be a lot of negative talk about this but am asking the forum for its ideas as it usually gives reliable replies. So if you could please let me know if you think it is necessary to do any of the above I would appreciate it. Any other ideas would also be helpful.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I updated 2 Win 10 systems to the new 'Creators' version. Apart from unplugging any external devices I didn't remove or disable anything at all and they updated just fine. I didn't read anything about uninstalling 3rd party software and that would be ridiculous and put many people off. I'm sure I would have seen that when it asked me to update.

3. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

Unplug the computer update and good to go.
    Thanks

4. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I've just re-read the screens that appear for people updating manually - there is no mention at all of removing any programs. There is no mention of that either in any of the several articles from the last two weeks about its rolling out. The auto roll-out begun on 11 April for newest systems and will roll out to everyone over several months. I used the option 'would you like to update now?' and it uses the Windows Upgrade Assistant rather than 'Windows Updates' and that also mentioned nothing other than 'all your files and programs will be there when you finish'.

5. peterr

peterr MajorGeek

>> Again, thank you.

6. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

There is nothing to 'unplug' other than external devices, and that's only when the update is offered to your specific system.

7. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

I used 'upgrade now' to upgrade three 1607 systems without first seeing any of the 'advice' you have posted so presumably you have seen it on another forum. I have had zero issues. Don't expect any big changes in 10 from this update as there aren't any that are obvious to the user.

8. Stephen_c16

Stephen_c16 Master Sergeant

I have updated 3 laptops and a desktop without problems.
    s.

9. mdonah

mdonah Major Geek Extraordinaire

As I stated in another thread, both my "main" Win 10 systems are still at 1607, 14393 and I'm running 1703 inside VMWare. Guess I'm on the "waiting list" for the update to my "main" systems.

Since I did clean installs of Win 10, I haven't had any issues with updates, cumulative or otherwise.

10. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

A user can choose to update to the Creators version manually using the 'upgrade now' option, and if offers the same option to reverse it within 30 days as when win 10 was first introduced.

11. mdonah

That 'Upgrade Now' option isn't showing up anywhere on my two main Win 10 OSes. I don't remember if it showed in the Insider Preview I'm running inside VMWare Player.

12. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Settings > Update & Security > Looking for information about the latest updates? > 'Learn More' > https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4000825/windows-10-windows-server-2016-update-history >
    About the Windows 10 Creators Update
    Looking for the Windows 10 Creators Update? When it’s ready for your device, you'll receive a notification asking you to review your privacy settings before downloading the update. After it’s installed, your device will be running Windows 10, version 1703.

Can’t wait? See Get the Windows 10 Creators Update for info on how to get it now.

13. bearsound

bearsound Private E-2

If you have a GodMode file be sure to remove it from your start folder before getting the Creators Update, if you forget, for some reason your start menu will have only Microsoft entries and all your personal apps will be missing.

14. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Why would anyone have GodMode in the Startup folder?

15. bearsound

bearsound Private E-2

Oops, should of said the Start Menu Folder ...

16. mdonah

I ended up using the Windows Upgrade Assistant but both of my laptops are now running 1703. Only problem I had was with PTBSync but, installing version 6.3c corrected it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds