Crossover cable problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BILLMCC66, Jan 13, 2011.

1. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I have two PCs both running Windows 7 ultimate.
    I have tried to get them to speak to each other with a crossover cable but it is not working how i want it to.
    When connected both PC can see each other but only "Windows media player" also one PC is connected to the internet and the crossover cable from that PC to the other one but it will not let the second PC access the internet.

I have taken the cable out for the moment while i research the problem and am using "Team viewer" to transfer files between them but it is very slow with large files and i would like to get the cable to work.

Any ideas please. ????

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Why not simply connect them using a router?

3. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Because they are hard wired, no router.

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Yes, but crossover cables usually don't work well, while a router would work fine. You can connect both computers to the router, and the router to your modem, all with ethernet cords.

A decent router would be this one. While it's a wireless router, you can simply disable the wireless part, and it has 4 ethernet connectors on the back for up to 4 computers to be connected and networked. If you can find a cheaper reliable router that doesn't have wireless capability, go for that then. Just be careful, as there are some routers out there that aren't good (even some Linksys models).

Also, Windows 7 is VERY easy to network with other Windows 7 systems when using a router, using the Homegroup function. Simply go to Control Panel, and under Network and Internet , click "Choose homegroup and sharing options". It will pretty much do the rest for you. It uses a homegroup password that you simply type into the other computer's Homegroup settings, and once you configure both computers, the networking will pretty much be seamless. You may have to adjust some folder permissions, depending on your current setup(s).

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And routers are also pretty inexpensive and found at your local Wal-Mart.
    The ones here sell Belkin and LinkSys brands.

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Thanks guys, i will have to look into it.

It was just a project i tried to set up because my PCs are wired using a Devolo system that also includes the TV which is fully interactive.

7. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hey Bill, I forgot to add in my last post (thought of, then forgot about, it) that another important KEY function of routers is their built-in hardware firewall. Hardware firewalls work IN CONJUNCTION WITH software firewalls, but hardware firewalls are always a good security measure.

8. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

If these are newer computers, I would try a regular cable and not a crossover cable. Some newer Ethernet ports are autosensing. And one or the other may realize it is direct connected to another computer and getting confused.

And what do you mean by "hard wired"? Understand that "hard wired" means the wires are soldered to the circuit - there's no plug and socket connection with hard wiring.

9. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

One PC is a year old and the other is only a few months.

I have installed a router to try it that way but i am still not able to share files even though both PCs can see each other ???

10. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

11. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

That's most likely a sharing, firewall, or Homegroup issue, or a combination of the 3.

12. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It is currently running a list of all the files on a HDD that i selected so maybe it's working ??

13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Nope still not sharing.
    Back to the drawing board.

14. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

So, if you go into windows explorer and type in the name of the other computer (i.e. "\\OtherPC"), does it say you can't connect, or does it bring up a username/password prompt?

Also, if you could find the IP address of each of the computers by typing "ipconfig" in the command prompt, we need to make sure they are both on the same subnet.

15. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I get the same results on both PCs, they can both open media player but that is all.

When i type the PC name into windows explorer it does not see the other PC and no request for the password.

the IP addresses are the same except for the last 3 digits, one is 100 and the other is 101

Attached Files:

16. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

If you go into advanced sharing options (from the form in the second screenshot) is file and printer sharing turned on? Are there other options that are not turned on?

17. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

All options are turned on but still no access.

18. holiday

holiday Private E-2

If it's not a firewall blocking the sharing I would check the TCP/IP properties / options, and ensure that NetBIOS over TCP hasn't been disabled

19. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Are the names on both the PCs 'bill-PC'? If so, there are probably issues with name resolution.

20. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I changed the names so they are not the same but can still only see Media player on sharing.

21. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

I am not 100% sure how it happened but i can now see all the files from my main PC on the secondary PC which is perfect for my purposes.

Changing names must have definitely had something to do with it so thanks for your help and patience.

Bill

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds