Crunching noises from the hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Elph, Feb 14, 2007.

1. Elph

Elph Private E-2

Ello there,

I'm a little concerned about my PC. It was built in November at which point it was installed with a new Maxtor DiamondMax hardrive. All was well until a month or so ago when a very audible crunching sound started to be heard. It happens most often when there's a virus check running which i know is quite ordinary but at first even virus checks were silent, now its getting a lot louder and seems to be happening alot more regularly. Even opening 'my computer' sounds like its putting the HD under alot of strain.

Any ideas on possible cause/solutions? I've run all the virus/malware checks advised in the malware forum and all comes up clean. I've defragged, checked for errors and run disk cleanup. The maxtor site provides a diagnostic tool that i'm aprehensive to use because it wipes the drive, thought i'd exhaust all other options before that route.

Thanks in advance

2. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

Crunching/clicking sounds coming from the hard drive are usually bad news. Download PowerMax and run a diag on it. You should still have warranty on the system or the HDD at least so I'd get it taken care of asap.

3. Elph

Elph Private E-2

Wow, speedy response, thanks Val!

Power max was the diag i was going to get on and do but am i right in thinking that it'll format the drive? If not then i'll get on it, if it will then that'll cause me a bit of trouble at the mo.

4. Valhallis

Valhallis Private First Class

No PowerMax won't but the other Maxtor diag, MaxBlast, will. Besides it would warn you before anyway. Good luck.

5. Elph

Elph Private E-2

Righto, thanks for that.

There'll be a delay until i get it done because i'm away from home using me lappy at the mo. Back on friday at which point ill get back with the reults.

Thanks again

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds