Crysis Warhead.. EA is watching, and not working

Discussion in 'Software' started by Sin76, Mar 30, 2009.

1. Sin76

Sin76 Private E-2

Whilst I understand the need for game dev's to tackle pirating why the hell is EA punishing the loyal consumer ? I have done a search for my specific problem and found nothing so apologies in advance if I'm being naughty....:-o

I have just purchased Crysis Warhead and know my PC can run it in its sleep, so here is the problem.... I install the damn game as normal and I'm aware Internet access is required so I'm all set, insert game code (tick) accept and fill in the boxes, done that....waited....waited.... YAY!!! all installed with a nice desktop icon begging me to press it.... so I do.... Ooooo Look it says 'data release verification' blah blah blah.......I watch the little line fill up and wait...... and wait..... Still waiting...... Hmmm maybe I should try again, the same thing happened ?...... so I did a clean install, double checked my firewall settings, checked my Internet connection and followed every step with a little more scrutiny........ Wow!!! it does exactly the same thing again, so far this is worth every penny, I haven't even started the game and I'm already stuck Wooooot......

Forgive my sarcasm, I'm hiding my anger, I have browsed through help forums searched the web and found nothing..... If one of you could take the time to help me out it would be much appreciated......

Oh and one last note: Thank you EA for successfully turning another loyal consumer away from your products... Keep up the good work :flip:flip:flip

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Know that you have checked Firewall settings, but try disabling your firewall and antivirus altogether and see if that lets you connect to EADM (if you purchased this online), which is what I gather is the step your stuck on from your post.

Also if possible can you directly connect to the internet and miss out your router?

Some folk have with other EA games mentioned that part of the verification setup is Flash based, so update your Adobe Flash

Failing that I did a quick search of EA and came up with this info thread

3. Sin76

Sin76 Private E-2

Thanks Halo, as it turns out your right, it would appear EA are now using a form of spy-ware for market research and advertising superposes, my PC didn't like it........:mad

I have had a similar problem with Battlefield 2142.......Damn EA...... I'm going right off them.

Thanks again for your reply :)

4. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

They also did it with Mass Effect, and Far Cry 2, among others. It's an invasive Malware drawing program called SecuROM. Some versions are worse than others.

5. Sin76

Sin76 Private E-2

Triaxx2 I have been digging and it's all over the web just how bad EA have become, Dice I hate, Steam not so bad, I have no problem registering a game but invading my privacy...... :( or whatever they claim to do, here is yet another EA related balls-up.

Dice released the following statement concerning the "Spyware"
    Ermmmm ? I don't want adverts, why am I doing all the leg work to get your product working ?
    I have discovered thousands of gamers are now refusing to buy any EA products, I think I have just joined that ever growing list.....:wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds