cursor bar moves to right and page drops down

Discussion in 'Software' started by finisi, Dec 30, 2009.

1. finisi

finisi Private E-2

Hi, Intermittently, my cursor bar starts moving off to the right and the web page drops down to the bottom of the page. When this happens and I then try to close the page by clicking on the X, at the top right hand corner, the arrow cursor flickers and kind of alternately greys out and back again and won't let me close the page. When I grab the scroll bar and try to move the page upward, it just keeps jumping and flickering.

If I then try to turn off the computer, by clicking on Start then 'Turn off computer', it brings up the - Standby - Turn Off - Restart - pop up but with a call out bubble on the Standby button. The Turn Off and Restart buttons won't respond and the only one that will is the Standby button. I have to resort to pressing the power button for a few seconds to power off and once even this didn't work and I had to unplug the unit off at the wall socket.

On restarting, the computer brings up a page that has white lettering on a black background requesting that I choose a profile. The word Profile is in negative to the rest of the page i.e. black lettering on white background. When I press enter, it then goes into a 3-stage checkdisc routine - white lettering on blue background before it then opens Windows and allows me to use the pc. Very weird!! Any help much appreciated.

When I visited this site before and you helped me - for which I was, and still am, extremely grateful - I had to go through a routine to apply certain programs and also generate a log, before we were allowed to post, but I can't see that routine on your current site.

If I've missed it, my apologies. Please just point me in the right direction and I'll go through the necessary routine. Many thanks for your help.
    Tom.

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. finisi

finisi Private E-2

Many thanks for your help guys. As soon as I've gone through the routine you've sent me, I'll attach the logs to my next post. By the way, thanks for the prompter about scanning for malware. I've run Spybot search and destroy and Bitdefender, and nothing found.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds