Custom Computer, Slowwwww

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dababyboy3123, Jul 26, 2007.

1. dababyboy3123

dababyboy3123 Private E-2

Well guys, I'm kinda stumped on a problem I am having. It seems when I am doing one or more processes on my computer, no matter how big or small they are, one process is enough to make windows respond so slow. I'm talking like try and start firefox, and click on start and I will be sitting there for minutes. The problem is, I just built the computer, with some pretty impressive specs. So I don't understand how my hardware could not handle this simple task. I have the latests drivers, and I do all the following routinely also

• Defragment HD
    • Optimize Windows Startup using msconfig
    • Run Virus and Spyware scans every night
    • Use System Mechanic to defrag and recovery memory
    • Etc. Etc.

Here are the specs of the new computer, any suggestions would be appreciated

• Intel LGA775 Socket Motherboard
    • Intel Core 2 Duo Conroe 2.66GHz
    • Liquid Cooling with the processor running at 35-38 Celcius
    • Kingston HyperX 4GB (1GBx4) RAM in dual channel mode
    • Western Digital SATA 3.0 GB/s with HD Cooler
    • NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTX Video Card also liquid cooled

I realized after I bought the Intel mobo that you cant overclock on Intel Motherboards, haha

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Have you looked in processes in Task Manager to see the specs on running progs and look for what could be hogging. Pretty impressive Rig :cool

3. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

Wow thats a crazy buiild, very nice.

What PSU are you using? an underpowered PSU wouldnt allow the parts to run at full speed, mainly the video card though it can still affect the rest of the system

4. dababyboy3123

Oh Yes, I Have checked the task manager. It mostly never shows over 10% CPU Usage with a commit charge of around 500M / 5209 M

as far as the PSU, its your basic:

• ATX12V
    • Dual +12V
    • x2 PCI-E for the vid card
    • Oh, and its 580 Watts

Guess I should run PC Mark just to see where I stand. lol

5. uberuberuber

uberuberuber Private First Class

list specs on the psu. list the amps on all the rails and what brand it is.

Looks like you need a bigger psu since your wc. stuff is probly 12 volt and that gtx is beaing the crap out of your psu. I would deff. sep upto atleast a 800watt + psu for that rig and somthing name brand like pc power and cooling, FPS, zippy etc. But you should seriously look into 1kw models.

6. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

yeah, seriously the 8800GTX is a total power hog. On newegg the minimum requirements vary. Some say 450W w/ 28A on the 12v rails, some say 400W with 30A. But thats just the minimum, not including all the other parts you have in there. The liquid cooling system and 4 sticks of RAM are sucking extra power as well. I think that a well build 580W would be OK but i really would suggest something along the lines of a 700W+ PSU by OCZ, PCP&C, Zalman or Corsair

7. dababyboy3123

Alright Guys, Heres the specs from newegg, and the website for the one I bought. I thank you for the help. Plz lemme know what you think

Model
    Brand RAIDMAX
    Model RX-580F
    Series AURORA
    Spec
    Type ATX12V
    Maximum Power 580Watts
    Fans 1 x 120mm Blue LED fan
    PFC No
    Main Connector 20+4Pin
    Dual +12V Yes
    PCI-E Connectors 2 x 6Pin
    SLI Support Yes
    Modular Cabling Support No
    Input Voltage 115/230 V
    Input Frequency Range 50/60 Hz
    Input Current 10A @ 115V, 5A @ 230V
    Output +3.3V@30A, +5V@45A, +12V1@18A, +12V2@16 -5V@0.3A, -12V@1.0A, +5VSB@2.5A
    Approvals UL, FCC, CSA, CB, TUV, CE
    Features
    Connectors 1 x Main connector (20+4Pin)
    1 x 12V(P4)
    8 x peripheral
    4 x SATA
    2 x Floppy
    2 x PCI-E
    Features Brushed Aluminum / SECC
    Heavy duty wrapped VGA/ HDD cable
    Hexflo technology allows maximum to flow through your system
    Brushed metal body adds a touch of class and durability to the aurora

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817152022

oh hey and if you guys could, if this power suppy is too weak, maybe surf around newegg and find a suitable one that would work well? I only deal with newegg though! Price wise isnt that big of a deal either.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2007
  8. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

while the specs seem somewhat decent, i know for a fact that raidmax PSUs arent the greatest. If anything it could fail early and take out some other hardware with it.

this is one of the better PSUs out there: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002

it has dedicated PCI-E 12v rails, perfect for your beefy card and a total of 4 12v rails :drool

And how could I forget, welcome to MGs!

9. dababyboy3123

Hey thanks alot. Just curious though, whats the main differences between the one i have now, and the one you pointed out. other than the one I bought isnt as reliable as others. Is 700 watt enough??

10. viper_boy403

viper_boy403 MajorGeek

well the next step um in that series is 850W but you'll be paying like $50 more. If you are even considering going SLI with 8800GTX's then get the 850W (due to power output AND how each 8800GTX needs 2 PCI-E power cables, the 700W just has 2)

The main difference is efficiency and number of 12v rails and the Amps on them. Plus, OCZ makes some high quality stuff, raidmax makes nice cases, thats about it

EDIT: well apparently none of them have 4 PCI-E connectors so you'd have to get an adapter to split them...and i dunno how that would work out under those loads but at a powerful PSU should be able to do it that way

11. dababyboy3123

Sorry to keep bugging you guys, anyways. I was running PCMark04 and on the main screen where you select tests, it shows Memory as only 2048MB. however, then I clicked on details where it tells you everything about pretty much any hardware part of your computer, and it shows 4 slots of memory used, all with 1GB. Actually, disreguard all that, I was just looking and it says Physical Memory is 2.0GB and Pagefile Memory is 4.0GB... what exactly is the difference?

12. dababyboy3123

oh and some more news im concerned with. i ran 3DMARK and scored 10381. One thing I noticed is that when it did a CPU test.. there were 2 tests and on both of them I got between 0fps and 1fps. haha. just kinda concerns me why all my other ones scored so well, and when it came to the cpu test, it was total crapppppp. confusedconfused

13. theefool

theefool Geekified

3DMARK is not the best thing to check your computers overall performance.

One note, intel boards do not support nvidia sli (not until the x38 chipset comes in a few months).

BTW, what OS is this? XP or Vista?

14. dababyboy3123

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds