cuw-am mobo new mem boot problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by tinkherbelle, May 15, 2005.

1. tinkherbelle

tinkherbelle Private E-2

I have a pavillion 7850, upgraded to windows xp pro -vers 2002- sp2, 953 mhz 128mb ram, cuw-am mobo

I tried to upgrade my memory and here is what happens:
    1) removed 128 chip inserted 2/ 256 chips
    windows will not boot
    2) removed single 256 chip(2nd slot) windows did not boot, tried safe mode, booted successfully afterwards
    3) inserted 256 chip into 2nd slot again, did not boot to windows, tried safe mode, did not boot
    4) put the chip from the first slot into the second slot, boooted to windows successfully
    5) cleaned contacts, inserted the second 256 chip into the first slot, will not boot to windows
    6)removed chip from second slot, booted to windows successfully
    7) inserted the 128 into the second slot (256 still in the 1st slot), booted successfully to windows
    8)removed the 128 put in the 256 again, will not boot to windows
    9) reseated at least 5x both 256 chips

This is the second set of memory chips, I returned the first set for the same problem. This leads me to believe that I need to do something else because it is not recognizing the second 256 chip.

I can not find any upgrades for bios, maybe I just have not looked in the right place but I have spent 4 hours doing searches and come up empty handed. :rolleyes: SNIFF

HELP!

2. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I just did a search on HP's website about your computer and its motherboard! What type of memory are you trying to upgrade with? Spec's would be nice. Your board could use either 66 MHZ or 100 MHZ memory depending on the system.

I would suspect that you are trying to use the wrong type of memory for your system. Why not remove the 128 meg chip that works and carry it with you to the place where you are buying your memory, and tell them that you want two 256 meg chips of the same type. Your motherboard does have a max memory size of 512 megs. Hope this helps! :)

Welcome to MajorGeeks!! ;)

3. tinkherbelle

tinkherbelle Private E-2

ok my bad.... they are 3.3 v, 256mb dimms,100mhz cl2 unbuffered. I bought the memory online and it is the second set, is it possible to get defective chips 2x?

4. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

It is possible, but not probable, that you could get bad memory twice. If the 100 mhz memory isn't working, then you should try the 66 mhz type. The motherboard manual said that all memory should meet the Intel clock 4 spec, and that either type could be encountered depending on the system.

5. rogvalcox

rogvalcox MajorGeek

It sounds like the new memory you bought is too fast!! When you install memory ...the computer will clock all memory modules down to the speed of the slowest module!! Being that you can get it to boot when you have the old 128 module in dimm one, and the new module in dimm two...odds are the system is clocking the new module to match the slower speed of the old 128!! When the system boots, it searches for the specs of whatever is in Dimm 1 (your slot where you put the memory), then what ever is in Dimm 2, 3, and so on will be made to match the clock of the memory module in Dimm 1!! So therefore, your new module will work because it has been clocked down to whatever your old module is, but when you put one of the new modules in the first slot...it immediately sees that the memory is not compatible because, it is the first module it sees!!

Like Novice said...try going down to 66mhz, and see if that works!!

To test your memory...if the computer will boot to a floppy, with whatever piece of memory installed...you can use MEMTEST 86+ just google it, and dowload, and the program will make you a bootable floppy for testing the memory!! You want to get 3 or 4 passes without any errors!!

Let me know if you need more help with it

Roger

6. tinkherbelle

tinkherbelle Private E-2

That does make sense. The 128 chip is also 100 mhz and it boots in either slot with the 256 chip. I am going to try testing the chips after I get home from work tonite. Too bad the company I bought them from is useless in the support department. If the chips are good I will try the 66mhz. Any other suggestions or ideas before I send them back again would be GREATLY appreciated.

THANK YOU for your help.

Last edited: May 16, 2005
  7. Shadow_Puter_Dude

Shadow_Puter_Dude MG Authorized Malware Fighter

Who did you buy your memory from?

Your System Memory Specs are:
    RAM (standard) 128 megabytes (MB) PC 100
    Maximum 512 MB (2 x 256 MB DIMM)
    Speed 100 MHz synchronous
    Sockets Two 168-pin DIMMs
    Size 32, 64, 128, and 256 MB DIMMs
    Free DIMM socket 1
    Pairs Required No
    Type Supported SDRAM, 100 MHz, Intel PC SDRAM unbuffered DIMM specification, revision 1.0 compliant

The problem may be that the chips are not compatible to your system board.

Anything slower than PC100 will not work in your system.

8. dnathand

dnathand Private E-2

The problem is simply the amout of ram you are using....It is an ACPI error causing it not to boot that is caused when you have 512mb of ram installed. You will have to re-install XP and press F7 when it asks you for any 3rd party drivers (silently disables acpi). Mine does the same thing but only when ram is maxed! The issue is specific to the CUW-AM board. This is a proprietary board for hp computers and there are no bios updates nor will there be unless someone hacks one. HP simply isn't making any other bios updates that will resolve this issue and Asus doesn't support the board since manufactured for HP. Time to upgrade!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds