Cyclic redudancy check

Discussion in 'Software' started by Denise_M, Jul 4, 2010.

1. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I receive the 'cyclic redundancy check' error message when I try to delete some video files. Does the error message mean that there's a problem with the files, with the hdd or both? I played them a number of months ago with no probs but now I can't delete them.

I have a chkdsk scheduled for overnight when I'm sleeping because it's a 2T drive.

2. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

It usually means there's a problem with the files,they have become scrambled,if you've never had a CRC error before this 'other than CDrom CRC's' and it only happens with these files then its most likely just the files and not the hard drive.

So,are all the video files downloaded from the same place,were they downloaded at the same time,are they all the same file format,are they all in the same folder are they all on the same disk?

EDIT can the video files still be played,can you enter the properties menu if so make sure you have full admin rights before moving on.

It's also advisable to download and run diagnostic software from your hard drives manufacturers website,this should rule out or rule in a failing drive.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. Rikky

I'm going to bed Denise :-D If you absolutely have to delete these files right now without investigating the cause write down the file paths of all the files from the windows explorer box.

Restart your computer and hit F8 to enter safe mode options choose safe mode command prompt type del then the full file path of the files you wish to delete so it would look similar to this.

del C:\My documents\My videos\vid 01

If it still won't delete type this

del F/ C:\My documents\My videos\vid 01

The F/ will force deletion of files.

I don't know how much information you needed beyond your orginal question so this my all be extraneous but I just started typing :-D

4. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi Rikky,

Thanks very much for the info and help.

The files are all located on 1 hdd, a 2T WD Caviar Green and they're located in the first 3 folders on the drive (alphabetically).

I downloaded the files from the same place but at different times. They're all .avi's.

I can't do anything with the files, not play, copy, move, delete or replace.

I keep back-up copies of all my files. I checked the backups and they're all good. I can do anything I want with them.

I can get into the drive's properties.

I downloaded Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from WD and I ran the quick test for the drive. The result was that the drive 'Passed.' I'll be running the extended test overnight because it'll take several hours to complete. (I cancelled the chkdsk)

I'll let you know the outcome of the test in the morning.

Thanks again :)

5. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

The WD diagnostic test finished and it found bad sectors on the drive but couldn't fix them. I'll be trying the safe mode method soon. Hopefully I'll have no problem if I add new files to the drive. If I do, I'll RMA it :(

Thanks again for all your help!

6. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

I just attempted to get into safe mode and couldn't do it. I tried tapping the F8 key, holding it down steady, trying from a reboot and from a cold start, but nothing worked. I also tried the same with the F5 key because one of my old computers got into safe mode that way but none of it worked either.

I don't want to change boot.ini to safe mode because, one other time with an old computer, I had a very hard time to get it to boot normally again.

One site said:

"If you're entering Safe Mode properly; however, when attempting to load Windows, Safe Mode encounters errors, restarts, or never loads, it's likely your computer is encountering either a major corruption with Windows and/or you have a hardware issue that is preventing the computer from loading."

The hhd that I'm having problems with is my L drive, not the one with Windows on it, but I disconnected the drive and tried to get into safe mode with it disconnected but it wouldn't do it then either.

The drive is only 6 months old so I'm going to do an RMA just to be on the safe side.

7. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Hi Denise
    I have seen a few of these larger hard drives fail,and I know that can be disastrous , if it has important files on it- I would RMA the hard drive, too- bad sectors, after 6 months..........

8. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

Hi baklogic . . .

It's nice to 'see' you again. You might not remember me but you helped me build a computer about 5 years ago. I drove a number of people here crazy but it got built in the end ** :) **and I learned a lot.

I'm going to be boxing up the drive soon. It could be that there's something wrong with the drive for this to have happened. I accessed those files only once, about 6 months or so ago and there was no prob with them then.

Have a great summer!

9. Rikky

Only thing I have to say is follow the RMA packaging instructions from thier RMA page so they don't have reason to complain but you prolly already know.

Good luck Denise.

10. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Denise_M
    As Maurice Chavalier sang in the movie (I think thats who sang it -maybe wrong spelling)--I remember it well.:dancer- No-one noticed the stand-off's bit , did they........:-o

Always good advice, Rikky :cool

11. Denise_M

Denise_M MajorGeek

And you chose to step in here anyway :dood you're brave!! Those standoffs caused a lot of head scratchin'

baklogic and Rikky . . . thanks to both of you !!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds