"d:\ is not accessible - Incorrect function" CDRW and DVD RW wont work

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by radiot, Nov 3, 2005.

1. radiot

radiot Private First Class

Howdy,

I have a CDRW that was giving me the "d:\is not accessible" error, so I replaced it with a DVD burner, and got the same message. I have a CD drive, no R/W, and it works fine. I have tried the writers on both ends of the IDE cables, jumper set to master, slave, cable select. One drive and two drives at a time. I have monkeyed with the BiOS some, to no effect.

Perhaps both drives are bad, even the brand new one. Could it be a bad mobo? Could it be a bad setting in the BIOS. Is there some setting in the windows or bios that would refect a writer?

Stumped...............................................................again.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Incorrect function is usually a driver error.

Go to Device Manager, and properties of the burner. Go to drivers tab, and choose driver details.

Give the names of ALL the drivers listed.

3. radiot

Thanks Adrynalyne

Drivers are:
    cdrom.sys
    GEARAspiWDM.sys
    imapi.sys
    storprop.dll

I selected "update" driver the first time I installed DVD, but it said there was no better driver than the one in use.

4. radiot

Missed one driver:
    redbook.sys

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok...

Uninstall iTunes. If that doesn't help, look here using regedit:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

To the right, look for upperfilters and lowerfilters. If you find either, back the key up, then delete those entries. Then, reboot.

If not, I'd then start looking at less obvious things, like a bad IDE cable.

6. radiot

*steam exiting ears*

I think my productive days are behind me.

I uninstalled itunes; then when I clicked the DVD drive without a disk inside, it said, please insert disk. An improvement, but when a blank disk is inserted "incorrect function". It sees a DVD movie, or program install CD, but not blank CD/DVD's. Nero Express 5.5 can run tests on drive, see correctly what kind of disc is in the drive, but when Nero tries to burn a disc, the DVD drive letter is not an option.

Furthermore, before uninstalling itunes, it successfully burned a music CD in the DVD burner.

My AGP slot seems to have died, the on board sound only has one channel, and now this. Perhaps my motherboard has gone bad?

Adrynalyne, thanks for the excellent and focused suggestions. I appreciate it very much.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds