D-Link DI 524 Router Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by augiedoggie, Mar 21, 2008.

1. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

So far my router has crapped out at least once a day for the last week, got it back by cycling the power. Today that 'fix' didn't work anymore. Here's what I've done so far:

1) Connected cable directly from my system to the cable modem. Works normally.

2) Switched out cable between router and modem, still no connection.

3) I was able to get into the admin panel and reset it that way, then I hard reset it through the pinhole. No go.

4) I then reset the router to factory settings through the panel, which was successful. Still out.

Oh, I rebooted between each step. Any ideas of what to try next besides buying a new one? Thanks all.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi Augie

No sadly you have done all the options I would have suggested, I know some routers store logs of there opperation does yours if so is there anything that stands out as to causing this, sounds like the eprom is loosing the stored data to your settings, are they when you access the admin panel still ok or not?

3. augiedoggie

Hmm, I didn't look at the log yet and I will certainly do so. I did try to renew the DHCP manually and it errored out saying there was no connection.

As to the stored data, all looks normal to me, but then I'm no expert, at least there's no errors reported in the panel as I went through the whole thing.

Only other thing that I can think of is reflashing the sucker with both the D-Link software and if that doesn't work then with the SW for tweaking a wireless router as this would be my last ditch effort before tossing it, I can't remember the name though.

This router is a bottom feeder as it is, I told the gf to get a better one but no, 'It's only $50'.rolleyes:D

Thanks Halo.:)

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Yeah a firmware flash could help, and the only tweaked software for setting options in routers I can remember is this http://dmt.mhilfe.de/ dont think it does D-link though.

5. augiedoggie

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds