D-Link driver uninstall

Discussion in 'Software' started by aztecfan, Jul 22, 2007.

1. aztecfan

aztecfan Private E-2

I installed Windows XP over Windows 98SE and now I have a network driver problem. The D-Link driver DWL-120, which isn't XP compatible, will not uninstall. When I attempt to uninstall through Device Manager, the Windows immediately reboots with no effect on the old driver. Attempting to disable it does the same thing. Anybody experience anything similar for an old driver? I have disabled the virus software too.

2. Goran.P

Goran.P MajorGeek

You should try in safe mode.On boot press F8 and choose safe mode.Log as administrator.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Try removing the card, reboot the PC with card removed and try to uninstall the driver. Reboot again without the card after removing the driver, then shut down, re-install the card, and fire it up.... WinXP should pick it up and prompt for a driver. You can always try a 3rd party uninstaller if all else fails. Be sure to unplug the power cord before opening the case and pulling or re-installing the network card...

hd2k

4. aztecfan

aztecfan Private E-2

Thanks for the suggestions....safe mode and removing the network card didn't work. What 3rd party uninstaller do you recommend? Would reloading XP remove the offending driver?

5. Bugballou

Bugballou MajorGeek

Can't remove the driver manually? Must have a file name. Install again and then uninstall? Update driver? Upgrades stink if that is what you purchased, next time get a full installation disk, get rid of the trash. Reinstall XP without the hardware connected to the system. You could try to disable the driver first.

6. aztecfan

aztecfan Private E-2

Yes, guilty as charged. Did an upgrade rather than full install on XP. Will try to reinstall the upgrade again after disabling the driver.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds