D-Link Wireless Router

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RexNoctis, Dec 13, 2003.

1. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

Does anyone know if it possible to run the D-Link DI-514 as a wireless access point and not as a router?

I currently share the connection through a Win2K PC with ICS, the ADSL modem I have is currently a USB only model. I will be upgrading it after Christmas but for now I want to run the D-Link just as an extra hub/wireless AP.

Whenever I power it on, the WAN light just keeps blinking because there is no ADSL modem connected.

Any ideas?

2. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

I have a DI-614. Just let the light blink. It doesn't matter. I don't have WAN either.

3. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

Thanks, Mr Flea but I'm not very observant, it's the WLAN light that is blinking, sorry.

I've tried connecting the 514 to my PC directly with both a straight and a crossover cable, I've also tried connecting it to the switch with both cables. When I connected it to the switch, I disconnected the PC acting as the ADSL ICS server so the IP address 192.168.0.1 wouldn't conflict.

In both cases, I can't ping the 514 router and I don't get any connection lights. Although, with the crossover cable, I do get a connection light on the PC or the switch even when it's not connected to the 514.

I've done a hardware reset that should reset the IP of the router to 192.168.0.1

Any more ideas?

4. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

make sure the pc isn't plugged into the port labeled WAN. all other ports are good to connect to. The wan light doesn't matter unless you connect to the internet through the wan port on the router. Try restarting the PC. And instead of pinging it, type 192.168.0.1 in the address bar of your internet browser. I'm not sure it will answer pings, but if it is connected, it will answer to 192.168.0.1. If you have not already set it up, you need to set it up by going to 192.168.0.1. It will ask for a password. Type admin (or whatever your setup book says). Use the config wizard on the main screen after you put your password in.

5. RexNoctis

RexNoctis Corporal

That's something to try, didn't think of it not responding to ping requests., Will try that and let you know!

I have been using LAN port 1, but worried that I get a link light at one end of the cable but not on the router.

6. mr_flea

mr_flea First Sergeant

Oh, and don't use crossover cable. If you are, use a regular cable instead. Crossover is for networking 2 pc's directly to each other. You are going through a router.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds