Damaged floppy disk-need data

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Apr 2, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I guess the title pretty much sums it up.... any recommendations on a good floppy disk data recovery tool? I looked thru the data recovery section, but nothing jumped out at me. Maybe I overlooked something. This floppy is missing the metal safety 'slider', and looking at the media, I've seen some scratches. The disk is dated 2004 (old!) and when I try to read it, Windows struggles with it for maybe a minute or two minutes, then tells me the disk isn't formatted, and do I want to format it now.... is there any hope?

hopperdave2000

2. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Try this:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2623.html

Unstoppable Copier...I've used this to recover data from floppies before. It truely does copy anything that's recoverable, but you may be surprised at how much the floppy has degraded.

3. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Yeah- Unstoppable Copier is great, but it didn't work on this disk. I've used UC many, many times in the past and it usually does the job; not this time :( I broke out Easy Recovery Pro, and it seems to be finding something, if it's usable data remains to be seen....

hopperdave2000

4. Wavetar

Wavetar Sergeant

Let us know how it goes.

5. noahawk

noahawk Corporal

I've had success pulling data off of Zip disks that Windows claims to be unformatted... but I recovered the stuff by hand from DOS with a hex editor... If you have the willingness/need to try to grind it out and find the files manually, I can try to help

6. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Easy Recovery Pro did recovery the data (it was internet Favorites and shortcuts for this guy's business). Some of the addresses work, some don't. The ones that don't generally have a missing letter or two or a random symbol in the middle of the web address: like it'll say http://www.&ahoo.co or maybe htXp:?/ww{.yaho.om You get the idea. The ones that work I'll move to a seperate folder, and I'll try to rebuild the corrupt ones....

hopperdave2000

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds