Damaged photos in USB

Discussion in 'Software' started by victor93rs, Nov 16, 2010.

1. victor93rs

victor93rs Private E-2

2. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Moved your thread to the software forum. When was the last time you formatted the drive? And why are you allowing malware to be on the drive?

3. victor93rs

victor93rs Private E-2

I formatted it already, and it hasnt made anything. Maybe it got the virus again from my PC, but I think I have proved that formatting it isnt eliminating it.

4. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Likely corruption is from malware on your usb pen or its bening transfered by the less secure PCs you are using.

But try this (just for reference whats your Windows version and Service Pack?) its from the command line aka CMD, so follow the below

Click Start > Run and type CMD and hit enter (if Vista or Win7 then click Start and type CMD into the Start Search box and then right click CMD and choose Run as Administrator) then type in the order and hit enter after each one

diskpart
    list disk (at this point dont have the USB pen in the PC, and type list disk, it will list the disks on the PC, make a note of them, then pop in th USB pen and type list disk again, then look for the new addition to the list and this will be your USB pen *likely its the smallest size of disk on the PC* NOTE: if you choose the wrong disk below you may accidentily delete your HDD)
    select disk X (where X is the number of the disk thats associated with your USB pen)
    clean
    create partition primary
    select partition 1
    active
    format fs=fat32
    assign
    exit

and try your USB pen with images and files again and see if they become corrupt, if they do I would throw away and get a new USB pen.

5. victor93rs

victor93rs Private E-2

Halo, im doing all the steps you say, but my usb doesnt appear on the cmd...
    The only disk i see is "Disk 0", which has 149 GB, and 0 GB free... I have Windows XP Professional, SP3... What do you think doesnt let me complete you procedure? Thanks!

6. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try a different USB port; USB ports can stop working.

7. victor93rs

victor93rs Private E-2

plodr, all of my usb ports do work... when i insert my usb, it appears as a new drive unit on "My PC"... why do wou think it isn't showed on CMD? Disk 0 is my C:/ unit...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds