Damaged System Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by radiohead_1, Apr 23, 2017.

1. radiohead_1

radiohead_1 Private E-2

Hey guys,

I've got a bunch of issues with my laptop. I'm pretty tech savvy so I've done a fair amount of troubleshooting myself, but I'm at a point where I can admit I could use some help. I'll try to be concise with details without missing anything important. A super quick background as to what caused the problem, and what seems to be affected now:

Issues seemed to begin with some failed windows updates. Some updates failed to install, and then I had to re-install them. Ran into some issues after the re-install, and did a system restore, and now things seem to be slowly snowballing. Here are some of the issues I'm running into now.

- 100% disk usage. This isn't constant, but about 50% of the time. Usually there are no processes that seem to be taking up a substantial amount of resources. I've previously disabled Superfetch and Windows Search to fix this, but no change. Recently, one process seems to be using a TON of disk resources: Windows Modules Installer Worker. I can end this task and disk usage drops to 0-1%, but will soon jump back up (even when this process isn't present).
    - services.msc will not open. I get this message:
    http://imgur.com/ZojFyYQ
    - If I try to manually open MMC it opens successfully, and I can add the services snap-in to open it that way. But at this point, I've already suspected that some of my system files are compromised.
    - I tried a system restore, and it failed. I later did a system restore from a point further back, and it was successful.
    - I ran a sfc /scannow. it confirmed there are issues with system files, but were unable to fix them. I'll include the CBS.log that was generated from this. I'm not sure how to tackle fixing these problem files.
    - I ran a "DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /Scanhealth", and it claims it was successful.
    - I ran a "chkdsk /f /r /x", to be run on startup. It would sit at 20%ish, and I would leave it for 7-8 hours with no progress. I'd leave it for an extended amount of time, and when I would come back, it looks like it had rebooted - I was at the login screen. I don't know if it completed successfully. I did manage to catch it once - it did not complete the remainder of the %, and just rebooted. This makes me suspect I have HDD issues.
    - A standard chkdsk (no additional arguments) shows no bad sectors.
    - Given that the issue seems to have started after a windows update, I tried downloading the Windows Update Troubleshooter, located here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-ca...68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter
    However, when trying to install, I get a generic error message: http://imgur.com/TD6XrAU

I'm fairly well versed in Malware issues - I clean frequently and keep my PC pretty secure. That said, I'm open to any suggestions and whatever additional scans might be required.

Some PC specs:
    Laptop model: Lenovo Ideapad Y510P
    Windows 8.1 64 bit
    i7 4700MQ @2.4 GHz
    8 GB ram

Any suggestions would be welcome. I'd like to fix the system files that are damaged as a priority, but I'm hoping I can get everything resolved. A format is the last option if it comes to that.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Attached Files:

• CBS.log
      File size:
      2.8 MB
      Views:
  2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Hi

A couple of things. An sfc /scannow cbs log is far too big to read clearly. You need to run sfc /scannow again and at the end when it is completed, you need to use this command to get a very simple text file to your desktop which is readable:
    How to view details of the System File Checker process:
    To view the details that included in the CBS.Log file, you can copy the information to the Sfcdetails.txt file by using the Findstr command, and then view the details in the Sfcdetails.txt. To do this, follow these steps:
    1. Open an elevated command prompt as described in the previous step 1.
    2. At the command prompt, type the following command, and then press ENTER:
      findstr /c:"[SR]" %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\sfcdetails.txt
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg...l-to-repair-missing-or-corrupted-system-files

As far as running windows update troubleshooter, when you download it from here:
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb...68-021e32467565/windows-update-troubleshooter
    choosing your OS it should automatically run as 'open' should be the option pre-ticked and then by clicking 'OK'.
    See this screenshot:
    Untitled.jpg

Your images of error windows wont load for me at all, and using a website for screenshots is not a good idea.
    All you need is to do the focussed screenshot with the alt + PrtScr key combo, then open PAINT and ctrl + V then save the jpeg image to desktop, crop it if too large, then use the UPLOAD A FILE button at the bottom right here.
    Then we can read it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  3. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

4. radiohead_1

radiohead_1 Private E-2

Max, thanks for the reply, much apprecaited! I've attached the filtered log.

Windows troubleshooter gives me the following error as I run it:
    latestwu.jpg

I'll give the windows repair program a shot and report back. Again thanks!

Attached Files:

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Yes I think running Tweaking in safe mode is the next best option.
    If that does not resolve all the problems, then I think a Windows 'Refresh' will be the best answer - this resets your Windows OS cleanly but leaves your personal files in tact - though it is good to back them up to a USB drive or DVDs just in case.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/17085/windows-8-restore-refresh-reset-pc

Good luck with Tweaking.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds