damaged XP disc

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skysarge, May 21, 2010.

1. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

I had to replace a HD in my computer, at which time I discovered my original copy of XP Pro had been damaged. The shop that installed and reloaded my HD could not use my CD, so they put in their or a copy of XP pro.
    Now I cannot download some updates from MS, and my desktop backgrounds will not stay on. MS keeps putting messages on my screen stating I have an illegal copy of XP. I just finished doing an extensive Combo Fix to rid my system of malware/virus problems, and need to download updates for XP to finish that.
    I read somewhere that I can have the protective cover stripped from my disc, copy the XP program to a clean undamaged disc, then use that new disc.
    Could I get some feedback on that, or how else I might proceed? For the costs of enlisting MS assistance, I can almost buy another CD of Pro or Win 7
    Thank you,
    Skysarge

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

A co-worker of mine had something similar happen to him, and when he called Microsoft's customer support they actually agreed to replace it for him at no charge. He had to send them the scratched up disk first, as proof that he had one, but he received a new one in the mail a week or so later.

Call them and ask for help, they might be generous to you too. :)

3. Skysarge

Skysarge First Sergeant

Thank you,
    I will contact them.
    Skysarge

4. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

Ditto similar experience all they want is proof!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds