data execution prevention message

Discussion in 'Software' started by jflo, Jun 3, 2006.

1. jflo

jflo Private E-2

i keep getting a data execution prevention message at logon, sometimes there are 10 that pop up one after the other after clicking "close message", then goes to the error reporting and i click "don't send" or "send report" -- either way, a new one pops up again until i go through all of them. what could this mean ? also, i don't have calc.exe, mspaint.exe or the system tools -> system characters.

obviously i am running a WinXP system, SP2. i just recently got help from chaslang in the malware forum cleaning out some bugs. is it possible that some of the malware caused the calc and mspaint to be deleted or causing the error message ?

i'm just going to link the URL here instead of including it in the post of the message i get:
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v421/jflo/wtf.jpg

2. jflo

jflo Private E-2

oh, also, when i try to open up My Computer, it takes forever for the drives to display

3. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

HI! I hope this will help:
    Have you checked your DEP settings?
    Control Panel>System>Advanced tab>Performance Section> Settings>(opens performance options) Data Execution Prevention tab
    What is listed there?
    If paint and a lot of normal programs are there read this:
    http://www.updatexp.com/dep-exceptions.html
    Have you run a disk cleanup and emptied your temp files?

Paint and Calculator
    They are gone or are the shortcuts missing?
    mspaint.exe should be in C:\WINDOWS\System32
    calc.exe should be there as well

Right click on 'Start'
    Select 'explore all users'
    Double click on 'programs'
    Double click on 'Accessories'
    There Right Click an empty space in the window >select 'New' >'Shortcut'
    create shortcut wizard opens
    Type the location: C:\WINDOWS\System32\mspaint.exe and then do it again for calc.exe to have the shortcuts again if they are missing.
    I will keep looking for more info.
    :)

4. jflo

jflo Private E-2

yeah, they're not in the DEP list. i tried the shortcut thing, didn't work either. mspaint.exe couldn't be found either.

5. Toni_1947

Toni_1947 Command Sergeant Major

Do you have the XP CD or the OEM?
    If you have the XP CD you can reinstall your missing programs from it.
    The OEM will reinstall your whole system...not good if that's not what you want to do.
    If it came down to that though, you could make backups of the files and programs you want to a CD and reinstall.
    There may be a way to reinstall them without the CD, but I have to keep looking, so hold on,ok? OK.

6. jflo

jflo Private E-2

alright, thanks a lot ! i was wondering what happened to them. and i can't seem to find my XP CD for some reason.

if i backup the programs i need/want, then reinstall XP, will i be able to just put the programs back on without having to use installation discs ?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds