Data Recovery / Ext. Drive Recognition

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kozbaug, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Kozbaug

Kozbaug Private E-2

So, I have a smashed laptop with all my critical info on it. I bought a refurbished Dell Inspiron to replace it. I put the smashed unit's drive (Western Digital) into an external case (from a Toshiba external) to recover the data. The drive spins and shows up in Device Manager as a Toshiba when plugged in and says it's working properly... It will not show up in "This PC" (My Computer). I also tried it on the desktop at work... Same thing. What am I doing wrong? Is the Toshiba case proprietary? :confused

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

3. Kozbaug

Kozbaug Private E-2

Thanks... Will give that a try! :)

4. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

Go to disk management (go to start and type diskmgmt.msc), is it there? Try assigning a drive letter if it is recognized in disk manager.

5. Kozbaug

Kozbaug Private E-2

Thanks, but it doesn't show up there.

6. Kozbaug

Kozbaug Private E-2

Found a SATA to USB cord online... Thoughts?

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

I would buy the model suggested by plodr. It's IDE/SATA to USB 2.0. Handy if you need to help a friend who has an older IDE HDD.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

When I post examples, I always look at the review too. It has to have at least 4 stars and a large number of users.
    I had a model that did not work so when I went shopping for a new model, I started checking what seemed to work well.

Whatever you consider buying, please look at the reviews. You don't want to waste money on something that does not work well.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds