Data transfer between two PC's (hardware)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tater, Jan 31, 2015.

1. Tater

Tater Tot

My wife got an old computer from work after they upgraded. It's a 2008 Windows 7 Lenovo but a big upgrade from our 10+ year old HP with XP. It was too old/slow to even play video and had no sound card.
    Anyways, I'd like to copy data between them but only have one monitor. Can I run them both at the same time networked and swap the monitor back and forth to transfer stuff?
    Would unhooking the monitor while PC's are on be an issue?
    It would be easier for me to copy files directly rather then using our external drive.

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

3. Tater

Tater Tot

Thanks. Wouldn't that still be tough with just one monitor though? Can I boot one of the computers without a monitor and access files on it from the other?

4. Tater

Tater Tot

Well I started the XP machine without a monitor and I'm transferring directly over now.
    Seems to work good enough.

5. Dumb_Question

Dumb_Question Sergeant Major

Wouldn't a KVM switch (you aren't forced to use KM bit) do the trick ? They are only a few quid

Dumb_Question
    6.February.2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds