DD-WRT firmware update!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Fred_G, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I got one of these wireless routers: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124190 I followed the steps on this site: http://www.mandladventures.com/2007/04/12/how-to-flash-the-wrt54gl-with-dd-wrt-firmware/

And wow! This little router has some serious options! :D Need to run Cron on your router, yep, it does it. I don't know what that is, but I have it! I can boost the wireless power also. If you are in the market for a new wireless router, I highly recommend this.

Sorry if this is old news, I did a search and did not see it.

E

2. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

Old news ;) at least to me. I prefer Tomato my self, better QoS. Bit of advice, with the don't go much above 84mW on the wireless with out extra cooling for the transmitter. DD-WRT support overclocking as well. Not sure if it supports it on the GL but I ran my WRT54G at 300MHz for months. After a small heatsink and fan mod obviously. :major Theres all kinds of fun mods for the WRT series, adding an SD card reader for example.

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thanks for the links ACE, I will try the Tomato version. QOS looks much better in it. I will also have to look into overclocking it, even just a few MHz, just for the principle of it. :D

E

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Stupid question, if I crank this sucker's wireless signal up, is it likely to interfere with any of my neighbors stuff? At 70mW, I get 80% signal around 200' from my router.

Tossed a heatsink on the routers CPU (I think, hottest chip...) I have some heatsinks somewhere that will fit on the RAM perfectly.

Some poor soul has a Linksys up with no security in the area. That messed with my head while securing mine, even though it is on the DD-WRT.

I don't need extended wireless for me, but may setup a customer's shop wireless instead of wired using one of these routers. There are at least 3 wireless networks in his area.

E

5. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

cron is a tool to run a command at a certain time, ie a scheduling tool.

6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What the heck would I schedule to run on my freaking interweb box? :D

Pron Search...

E

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Quick question. Can one be setup at an office, and another run as an access point? Think 2 buildings, bout 150' apart. Wired in the back want to do wireless in the front part. Can one WD-WRT 'bridge' to another wirelessly?

E

8. ACE 256

The only way to be sure is be on a non-overlapped channel further away from their channel. I for one use chan 14 that is only used in Japan so I never have to worry about some one my channel. But I might get the FCC knocking on my door? rolleyes
    WiKi WiFi :D

Having trouble visualizing that, draw us a pretty picture. ;)

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Well, the picture is not pretty, but should give you an idea.

The cable internet starts in the shop. I want to run it on a Linksys router for wireless, and use a 16 port switch for wired computers in the shop. (all computers except laptops).

Now, the Cat5 running to the front office is bad. Can I use the wireless signal from the shop Linksys to wirelessly connect to a Linksys in the front office, and then go wired to computers in the front office from a switch attached to said Linksys wireless router?

Basicly, just remove the Cat5 line and use wireless to connect the shop and front office, but use wired withing each building.

Plan on using these for the wireless: LINKSYS WRT54GL (with the wireless cranked up just a bit), and the existing 3 Linksys 16 port switches he has.

So I guess the end result would be the shop has wired internet from the switch, with wireless available. Front office would get wireless from the shop, and transfer it to a switch and then wired, with wireless available.

Is that convaluted enough?:p

E

Attached Files:

10. ACE 256

Sorry for the delay, kinda hectic around here.rolleyes Its doable, but speeds will suffer somewhat. Setting it up is rather complex and I will have to get back to you on that.

11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have been doing some reading on setting one up as an acess point. No big hurry, we are going to run a Cat5 to the office. I will most likely setup the wireless as a backup if his Cat4 wire gets cut (usually once a year or so...:D)

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds