DDR PC2700/PC3200 - will they run together?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dazz, Jan 10, 2012.

1. Dazz

Dazz Private E-2

Hi Guys, a quick question regarding RAM if I may...

I have an E-Machines 5250 desktop which is currently only running 512mb of RAM (don't laugh...) in the form of two 256mb modules - according to crucial memory scan - and during a rummage around my spares box I came across a single 512mb module and wondered if it would be possible to install this in addition to the 2X256mb modules? The 512mb module is PC3200. Do all the modules have to match, or is it possible to run PC2700 and PC3200 together? I've not had the case open yet so I don't know wether the installed modules are PC2700 or PC3200.
    Any advice is greatly appreciated...

-Daz

2. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

It should run with all three modules. The 3200 module should clock down to run at 2700. When mixing speeds all modules will run at the speed of the slowest module.

3. boscotherock

boscotherock Private E-2

Just make sure slower speed RAM is in bay 0 that way its sure to clock down, otherwise you could get errors during the POST. (It has happened to me before)

4. Dazz

Dazz Private E-2

Thanks for the advice guys, cracked open the case and took out one of the existing 256mb modules to check and they're both PC3200, so stuck the 512mb module in and its working like a charm!

Thanks again, Daz

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Good work! :)

Going from 512 to 1gb should be a noticeable improvement. 512mb is low with any OS these days.

6. Dazz

Dazz Private E-2

Yes, a definite improvement in performance, i wonder if i've got another 512mb stick gathering dust somewhere...;)

-Daz

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds