DDR400 showing up as DDR333?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Huey P, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

I just set up my new computer, and my DDR400 RAM is showing up during the boot sequence as only DDR333. I've been digging around in the BIOS for awhile and can't find a way to change this. Why would it read 333? Could it be that I was jipped? Now that I think of it, I'm not entirely sure I installed them correctly.
    Gosh, maybe I should just RTFM.
    Any words of wisdom?
    Thanks in advance!

WinXP Pro
    ASUS A8N-SLI Deluxe NForce 4 mobo
    2Gb DDR400 - Corsair Value Select (2 Dual Channel Kits of 2 sticks of 512Mb each)
    GeForce 6800 GT
    Athlon 64 3500
    2x 250Gb hds

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

So, you have a total of 2 gigs of RAM in your computer? As in 4x512? If I'm reading this correctly, then yes, even if you have DDR 400 and ALL 4 memory slots are filled then your computer will have DDR 333 instead....

WHY?

Cause all but one cores for the AMD 64 has a ummm issue/bug, when all 4 memory slots are filled.

UNLESS....

You need to trade in your 3500+ cpu with a 3500+ Venice core. This fixes this issue, and adds more "features".

3. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

Yes, 4x512.
    But I have a Venice core though! Argh!
    Perhaps it has something to do with the HyperTransport settings? I have it set to the default "Auto" in the BIOS. I think I can choose 1x - 5x.

4. Blacktop Roland

Blacktop Roland Private First Class

I was just gonna say something like "check that your FSB is set higher than 166 Mhz (which is 333 FSB speed)". If it's not in the BIOS, you may *EGAD* have to mess with FSB jumpers. I know it's rare, but check your mobo manual for instructions on altering the FSB.

5. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

I can set the DDR Voltage anywhere from 2.60V to 3.00V, or Auto.
    Also, the CPU frequency, multiplier, and voltage,

Would the DDR voltage make a difference?

Gosh, all this stuff is so far over my head I never even knew it was there until I got some binoculars...

/lame

Heh, thanks again everyone.

6. Blacktop Roland

Blacktop Roland Private First Class

NNNNNNOOOOOO!!! unless you know exactly what you are doing, do not alter the DDR (or any other component's) voltage. Putting that too low will not power your DDR, and putting it too high might kill the chips by burning them. Leave them at their default voltage.

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Huey are you sure you arnt looking at your ram TIMINGS which will look like something like this 3-3-3-8,this is latency not mhz,go into bios under ram frequency look for 200mhz

;)

8. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

Loading bios to DF, if you knowtimmings of ram set it again.
    In bios set ram frequency to 200 or 1/1

9. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

Yes! I think I got it.
    I changed the Max Memclocks (MHz) option from Auto to DDR400. Bam!
    And I also changed the CAS# latency from Auto to 2.5. (That's the kind of RAM I bought.)

Now it reads DDR400 Dual Channel 128bit when it boots! Looks good to me!
    Does it look good to you gurus?

Thanks for all your help!

10. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Well, I know my motherboard has specific slots that must be used, or the pc3200 runs at 333.

I have an MSI K8N-Neo2 Platinum.

11. A.Son

A.Son Sergeant

I think your frequency of ram set at 5/6 not at 1/1.

12. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Your ram will always run at 200mhz,it may not however run in dual channel mode.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds