Dead CD drive comes back to life?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Yargwel, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Ok you clever people has anyone come across a situation like this:

I was reading a data CD when it all appeared to hang-up. Tried shutting down just the application but this failed so I re-booted the PC. The CD still wasn't recognized as being in the drive. I tried another CD with the same result. Re-booted the PC half a dozen times trying different Cds in the drive each time but none were recognized - in fact the CDs were not even spinning up. So I assumed the drive had thrown it's legs in the air and died. :(

Two days later I noticed that the CD I had left in the drive was being recognized again. In fact it all seems to be working perfectly again. :D

So does anyone know what might have caused this because it's got me stumped :confused: :confused:

2. Ira_Gaines

Ira_Gaines Private E-2

Phase of the moon? Its funny whenever I expect something to work its self out it is just false hope. At least you didn't buy a replacement before it started back working.

3. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

That must be it - it was a full moon!!! :eek: :p

4. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

Better still you should check cables/connections.
    Your drive may soon be toast, I had drive do same thing off & on, now it's in the trash cause it died.

Full Moon's are for WareWolfs!
    Not many Comp techs look to the Star's for answers.

5. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

All cables and connections present and correct. I'd be a bit miffed :mad: if the drive failed as it is only six months old.

6. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

?????
    Most any CD Drive, even the cheapest ones usually have one yr warranty.
    RMA/exchange
    I had one drive fail after only three months.

Atleast CD drives pretty cheap/inexpenxive these days, How mad can ya get over 20/30 dollars.

7. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

All true. ;) But I still would be annoyed. :mad:

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds