Dead Dell Optiplex 745

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by nienaberm@fuse.net, Aug 4, 2015.

1. nienaberm@fuse.net

nienaberm@fuse.net Private E-2

The issue is a Dell Optiplex 745 tower that was recently upgraded to 8GB RAM and an additional hard drive. After the successful upgrade (it was tested) the box sat for a couple weeks until the user was ready for it. The computer was plugged in today and only the front lights came on. There was no response on the screen. Tried to start the computer with a boot disk (Ultimate Boot CD) - no response. Does anyone have a suggestion about what went wrong or where to start the diagnosis procedure?

2. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

Greetings nienaberm.

My first thought is to re-seat the RAM module(s), especially since the memory was recently upgraded. If there are multiple modules you might try swapping, leaving one out, etc. Also, check all connections, both internal and external - if someone's been inside the case, a connector could easily have been dislocated.

A few quick questions:

You mentioned the lights - what colors, blinking, etc.? Are there any POST beeps?

Does the processor fan run? Have you tried a different monitor? If any of the peripherals (keyboard, mouse) are USB have you tried different slots?

Be patient: I'm sure others will jump in with other suggestions.

3. nienaberm@fuse.net

1.) The computer was booted and ran after the upgrades.
    2.) The connections were the first thing I checked - but I appreciate the reminder.
    3.) The lights that came were green, unblinking and are on the front of the computer. The hard drive light does come on. The lights were the 1 2 3 4 on the front.
    4.) There are no sounds other than the fan. The hard drive is not spinning up.
    5) The fan does run.
    6.) Would these symptoms be consistent with a dead battery? It is an older computer...

Again - many thanks!!

4. Caliban

Always a good question. Replacing the battery might be a good next step, as well as doing the swaps on any PSWD and CMOS jumpers that you see - seems like some of the older Optiplexes had multiple jumpers (should be located fairly close to the battery).

5. nienaberm@fuse.net

1500 EDT update

Systematicaly pulled RAM chips until one worked. Powered up and Dell up-screen was displayed but would not boot. Used UBCD to boot. It told me that system voltage was low. Running diagnostics now. Would the low battery make the boot sectors go bad?

I like the idea of sharpening Occam's Razor!

6. Caliban

Good morning.

Had a feeling the RAM dance might produce some results. Good to hear.

System voltage? You don't happen to have a spare Dell power supply laying around, do you? And as far as the low voltage affecting boot sectors: I would lean towards "I doubt it", but with Dells you never know. My next steps would be to replace both battery and PSU.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds