dead pc need files from hard drive ,how?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by pashburnerco, Nov 14, 2010.

1. pashburnerco

pashburnerco Private E-2

hello , I have been told my desktop pc will cost a fortune to put right but I have a laptop. Please tell me how to access the hard drive on my pc so I can get all my files off it
    thanks

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

3. jools1976

jools1976 Sergeant

What's the problem with the desktop?

4. pashburnerco

pashburnerco Private E-2

well jools when I press the power button it does nothing but flash yellow . I took it down to PC world and they think it might be the motherboard or something else. Bottom line they want £70 to diagnose the problem and then if it is the motherboard £150 to do that.£220 min. The pc Is 4 years old so I don't think its worth spending all that money on it

thanks

5. pashburnerco

pashburnerco Private E-2

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes you have to remove the HD but it is not difficult. A couple of screws hold it in.

On the PC is it a DELL? Often a blinking yellow light on a DELL is the power supply which is not that expensive to replace.

7. pashburnerco

pashburnerco Private E-2

its a packard bell imedia

8. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I don't know a blinking yellow light on a Packerd Bell could be motherboard. So if the shop says it will be expensive to diagnose/repair you are probably right not worth the trouble. I would hope they ruled out power supply when they looked at it.

I'm thinking that you might be able to attach the adapter referenced above without actually removing the drive from the PC depending on its length. You would just remove power from the PC, open the case detach the power and data cable from the HD and attach the adapter data/power. Looks like the cable is 1 meter so I guess you could get close enough without removing the HD.

9. pashburnerco

pashburnerco Private E-2

thanks to everyone for all the advice

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds