Debugging BSOD errors

Discussion in 'Software' started by BoredOutOfMyMind, Mar 2, 2014.

1. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

My system is almost 7 years old, and I am getting errors. I sometimes only use my Desktop for a media player/NAS and so have ignored some BSOD errors for about a year. The BSOD is getting more frequent and points to a Hard Drive failure soon. I can solve that for about $60 and yet want to ensure that there are not other errors to be solved.

WD Diagnostics says there are bad sectors on the drive, and after some uninstall and defrag, it is better yet still highly unstable and sometimes slow.

I read the HOWTO on Debug Memory and I downloaded Blue Screen View

Attached is todays annoyance if any geek can offer advise or other areas to test. ;)

Attached Files:

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi, BOOM.

A 0x1a Memory Management BSOD with the Windows kernel flagged could be a bad device driver, memory or, exceptionally, a Windows kernel problem.

Carefully read and follow the instructions here and attach the resulting zipped folder to a reply - you may need to split the zip to be able to attach it here.

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

Here is hoping I did this right satrow.

Attached Files:

4. satrow

A lot of crashes there. Without the info on drive errors or a couple of crash dumps that point to NTFS, I'd have said it was probably a bad driver or maybe RAM. There's no obvious suspect driver and I'd guess the RAM is probably good. There's nothing we can do in software that will fix a hardware problem.

As it stands, I really don't think you should go through any more frustration and possible data loss - save your data away from that PC and get another hard drive, install Windows afresh.

5. BoredOutOfMyMind

satrow, this setup endured 115 degree F heat and many days of power on and power off while they were working on the electric line updates 2 years ago. I am surprised it did not fail earlier.

Thank you for taking the time today with me.

6. satrow

No worries :major

Perhaps after 7 years, it's time to look for a new build anyway?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds