decent free AVI editor for win98?

Discussion in 'Software' started by robert707, Apr 15, 2009.

1. robert707

robert707 Corporal

Hey I'm looking for a decent free AVI editor for win98.

I've tried several listed in the multi-media section of major geeks and they all have problems of some kind, avidemux, avitricks and blaze had issues. The first two wouldn't recognize my AVI which plays fine. Blaze didn't setup properly.

I just need to cut sections of a video out at specific points. Selective re-joining would be nice too.

any suggestions?

2. risk_reversal

risk_reversal MajorGeek

3. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

4. robert707

robert707 Corporal

I mentioned in my post I allready tried avidemux and it wouldn't recognize the video..

5. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

6. robert707

robert707 Corporal

actually the windows movie maker page says

Operating system
    Requirement: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional

it says win98 is fine for movie playback only, which is weird, why would you get the program just for playback.

unless you've used the program for editing yourself in 98.

"The following software is required to play back a movie:
    Operating system
    Required: Windows 98 or later or Windows NT® 4.0 or later
    Recommended: Windows XP Home Edition or Windows XP Professional"

and is that even AVI?

7. Cordialis

Cordialis MajorGeek

I'm sorry. I didn't see that. There's a Vista version also but that can't help you...

8. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

There's a free program called ZS4 (link: http://www.majorgeeks.com/ZS4_d4825.html ) but it's more of a professional/studio type of video editor. I'm sure it will do whatever it is you need to do, and probably a whole lot more. Personally, I haven't used it, but I know they have a VERY extensive selection of tutorials and how-to guides at their web site; here's a link to their tutorials page: http://www.zs4.net/tutorials?PHPSESSID=b36726f2776d4c5bc80a553b88663d98

I hope this helps! Good luck! :-D

(VirtualDub also works with Win98, but here at MajorGeeks, it says Win2000/XP/Vista, but if you go to the VirtualDub Home Page it says it's compatible with all Windows including 95/98/Me in the first line at the top of the page )

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  9. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

10. Aimee Wilbury

Aimee Wilbury Staff Sergeant

VirtualDub! I used it on my old Windows 98.
    http://www.virtualdub.org/

Don't forget to set the compression settings or you'll get a huge file. Like 15 gigs for a friggen 10 minute video.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds