Decided to build computer. need advice

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reliK, Mar 27, 2005.

1. reliK

reliK Private E-2

I'm going to build a new computer.
    I have everything I need except for the Cpu/Mobo and a video card.
    I'm looking to spend in total 600 CDN.

For the mobo/cpu I was thinking either
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1213243&CatId=0

Or...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1226599&CatId=0

Which one would be the better deal? Is the second option worth the little extra?
    If you have any other suggestions for a mobo/cpu I'd like to hear them.

That'll leave me with around 300 CDN for a vid card. Which one would be best for that price?

Thanks in advance,

2. tjet

tjet Supersonic Majorgeek

3. reliK

reliK Private E-2

So, I'd need an ATX 2.0 psu for that, right?
    *looks for a case with this special psu*

Thanks for your help =)

4. reliK

reliK Private E-2

anyone with other suggestions?:D

5. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

Here's my take:

Referencing the very first post between two motherboard packages. No I don't think AT THIS POINT IN TIME that the extra money would be worth the upgrade. Here's Why:

The up in price is mainly because your talking about an AMD64 3000+ in one CPU and an AMD64 3400+ in the other. Now, 64-bit processors are GOING to be smokin hot one day but right now at this point in time they are NO different than a 32-bit processor UNLESS your running linux. If your running linux you can truely experience the 64-bit technology. However, for windows users out there you can only currently experience 64-bit technology dumbed down to 32-bit usage as there is not a windows platform that yet supports the full use of the 64-bit processor. Windows users must wait till project longhorn is released.

Therefore when I built my computer I went with a 32-bit processor because they're cheaper and will run the same as a more expensive 64 on windows. Once a windows platoform that supports the 64-bit comes out and the 64-bit technology matures THEN I will buy a 64-bit processor. So if you are going to get a 64-bit processor I think that the 3000+ (aka the cheaper one) will suffice over the 3400 GIVEN the price difference and your trying to keep money in mind. The 50+ dollar difference will be felt much more financially then will be noticed during computer usage.

Therefore I would recomend a motherboard/32-bit processor combo if your really trying to save money. However, if you really want one of those two packages by all means then I recomend the cheaper of the two.

As for the suggestions in the second post. My main beef against that MB is the fact that there is no AGP slot for a video card you must purchase a PCI express video card. I, personally, greatly prefer the AGP styled video cards because they prove to be excelent at least for my uses. If you were looking for a good AGP video card I highly recomend the ATI AIW Radeon 9600 that is a very well rounded good card with 128 MB of RAM.. but it all depends on your application of the computer. Maybe the low number of expanding possibilities due to the few PCI slots is all you need in which case fine.

Anyways that's my 2 cents on the idea of 64-bit processors and the motherboard options that have been posted. Hope it helps! And again don't get me wrong 64-bit processors will be AMAZING. But WILL BE are the key words because right now... you just can't fully utilize them... the processor market is ahead of the software in the world of windows. That's why I am holding off and waiting until the software catches up, the technology matures, and the prices come down a little as a result

6. reliK

reliK Private E-2

7. BillD

BillD Private First Class

I would suggest, that if you are planning to spend Canadian dollars, you peruse Canadian sites, such as Tigerdirect.ca, NCIX, and such so you don't have the hassle of dollar difference, brokerage fees and shipping costs if you have problems. Then I would go to a local comp store ( if you have one available) and compare prices. I have found that some items at the store nearest me are cheaper than online. I would only buy online if the price was sinificanly better, or I had no other option. Just my opinion.

8. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

It would appear at first glance that the main difference is the memory jump from 128 MB to 256.. that definatly could explain the price jump as well since video card memory is much more expensive than standard system RAM so the jump in 128 could definatly constitute the 30 dollar mark-up... I didn't look into the real nitty gritty but all other features seemed about the same... just one is twice the memory... If your next question was going to be which should you get I personally would get the 256 MB one because I can never have enough memory in all aspects :-D but it really depends on what your going to use your computer for... 128 is very acceptable and quickly becoming average these days so 128 can definatly work or if you have big plans for gaming or just want your video card to last through technological changes for awhile.. definatly get the 256

9. reliK

reliK Private E-2

Well, I'm just worried about it because the 256 one is basically the same price as the 128 one which would lead me to believe that there's something wrong with the card. Like somehow it's inferior to the 128. Otherwise I'm most likely going to get the 256 one.

10. MBlock

MBlock Private E-2

Ahhhhhhh sorry I completly wasn't paying attention... the 256 price is in canadian and the 128 was in american dollars... so that's why it SEEMED like the 256 was 30 more dollars to me but it's really not after the exchange rate and all.. OK got it... Now I see your concern clearly.

I'd say you'd be pretty safe with the 256. I am not sure why exactly the prices are so close together it seems to be one of those things that just kinda happens... prices coming so close together happens with computer parts every now and then based on sales and what not.

I do have one possibility to explaining the price difference. The 128 looks like it was a special edition with the red board and all the shiny colors and what not... Basically meaning that it was designed with the same specs but with an additional cost to the make-up they put on the board because the 256 board is clearly not as "pretty" it's just the standard green circuit board with silver pieces. So the price of the 256 card could be right around normal for a 256 card but the 128 card is actually a really expensive 128 card.. you know what I mean?

That's about all I can come up with because specs wise they look VERY similar just the main difference in memory.. so I think you'd be very safe going with the leadtek 256 card. Maybe if you'd feel more comfortable try and find another 128 card and see if my theory was true on it actually just being an overpriced 128 card... but I wouldn't spend to much time looking into it if you don't easily find something

11. BillD

BillD Private First Class

When you see 2 video cards that appear the same except for the memory, at about the same price, you need to look a little closer. Quite often the one with less memory is clocked higher and will outperfom the one with the greater amount of memory; it depends on the manufacturer, and what they have done with the card.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds