Dedicated GPU keeps shuting off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Kippin, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Kippin

Kippin Private E-2

I have a laptop with a nVIDIA g650m as well as an onboard video card. The nVIDIA one keeps shutting off, leaving everything to run on the onboard card. I've been trying for months to get this card to stay on but it won't. I spent a lot of money on it and can barely even use it.

My drivers are all up to date. On the nVIDIA control panel, I switched pretty much every setting to performance and to prioritize its use over the onboard card. This solved nothing. I was going to look at specific settings I changed, but surprise surprise I can't access my nVIDIA control panel at the moment because the card has switched off. When I restrat my PC the card stays on for maybe 20 minutes before shutting off.

What's the deal?

2. aidan80

aidan80 Private First Class

More information is needed:

What type of laptop is this, make/model
    What OS are you running
    Do you have a current/good Anti Virus installed and run a full scan
    Do you have anti malware software installed and run a scan
    Is the laptop plugged in or running on battery - keep it plugged in
    Is the laptop generating a lot of heat, where are you using it e.g. bed, table, lap etc

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds