Defender, McAfee and wireless prob

Discussion in 'Software' started by chaos, May 29, 2006.

1. chaos

chaos Private E-2

Hi there!

Before I start, I just wanted to warn you all that I don't know a lot about computers, but I'm good at following explicit directions!

The other day I started up my laptop (Compaq Presario 1700, with Windows Professional 2000) and I get this error message from Windows Defender:

Application failed to initialize 0x800106ba, reboot computer or go to help and support to manually open Defender.

then, I get this error message from McAfee:
    Error occurred while initializing ActiveShield
    Method: ComMcAppFactory::Register
    Result: 0x80004015

First, I re-booted the computer and got the same messages.

Next, I went to go online to see what I could find out about the error messages,
    and noticed that I have a medium-strong wireless signal, but the pages won't load (by the way, I should tell you it's an open wireless connection I use and it's not mine . . . please don't yell . . .)

So, I connected to my dial-up and checked out the support sites for the two. It seems that no one on McAfee support or Defender support knows what to do with those error messages.

I uninstalled and re-installed Defender, but continue to get the same message. I have to figure out the user name and password for McAfee and when I do I'll uninstall and re-install that too.

I can still run McAfee virus scan, and did a full scan, nothing of concern showed up.

I ininstalled and re-installed the NETGEAR Card I have, but wireless still the same. With the wireless, I'm just concerned I won't be able to use my school or work's wireless if there is something wrong on my end.

Oh, btw I now have Sygate and am running a deep scan with Ad-Aware.

Any suggestions?? please?! Thank you!

Let me know if more information is needed.

Last edited: May 29, 2006
  2. chaos

chaos Private E-2

One more thing, there were a few suggestions on how to fix the Defender error, I tried them but they didn't work. No one seemed to have a definitive solution for that specific error.

3. ST47

ST47 Private First Class

When you were downloading it did you get a message that said you had to update to GDI+?

Windows 2k needs this update to operate Windows Defender, and it wouldn't even install until I updated it on my computer.

First, uninstall Windows Defender through the add/remove programs feature in the control panel.

Download the Platform SDK Redistributable: GDI+.
    To do this, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...3c-be590feaa05a

Important When you download the Ggdiplus_dnld.exe file, click Save, and then save the file to the desktop. (I would try to save it somewhere else like a download file where you can find it as I couldn't delete it from the desktop after I finished the process)

2. Double-click the Ggdiplus_dnld.exe file, and then click Yes to agree to the Microsoft Software License Terms.

3. When you are prompted, unzip all the files to the desktop. To do this, click Browse, double-click Desktop, and then click Unzip. (again, if I were doing it again I would try to save them somewhere other than the desktop)

4. Manually copy the Gdiplus.dll file from the desktop to the %systemroot%\System32 folder.
    To do this, follow these steps:
    a. Right-click Start, and then click Explore.
    b. Click Desktop.
    c. Right-click the Gdiplus.dll file, and then click Copy.
    d. Click Start, click Run, type %systemroot%\System32, and then click OK.
    e. Click Edit, and then click Paste.

5. Try to install Windows Defender again.

Once you reinstall Windows Defender if it tells you it can't update definitions, follow the instructions here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/915105

4. chaos

chaos Private E-2

thanks for the recommendation, ST47, but I do have GDI+. I installed it when I upgraded to Defender (when it first came out). I have never had a problem with it . . . until yesterday.

I will uninstall Defender and GDI+ and re-install both. WHen I uninstalled/reinstalled Defender I didn't consider doing the same with GDI+.

Thanks, again! I appreciate you taking time to post, ST47!

5. chaos

chaos Private E-2

Your link didn't work, ST47, so I went to Microsoft and found it.
    I downloaded it, and opened it, clicked on yes, but there weren't any files to unzip after that.

The file was called WGAplugininstall, rather than GDIplus, but I'm sure it's the right plugin, because when i found it I found it in relation to using Defender.

Should I copy entire WGAplugininstall to paste it into the systemroot?

6. chaos

chaos Private E-2

oops! nevermind, I figured it out!!

I had to get this validation code to get the download.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds