Definitive Technologies W9 Connectivity Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by newmy51, Jan 2, 2016.

1. newmy51

newmy51 Private E-2

Helping some friends troubleshoot their new Definitive Technologies W9 wireless speaker, which somehow managed to work (intermittently) over the holiday, only to resist all connection efforts immediately thereafter.

If used typically, the device is meant to be turned on and placed in setup mode, at which point either the DTS Play-Fi app or the Digital Technologies app -- the former was the one the owner of the unit suggested his houseguests download, the second is what the owner's manual suggests -- is supposed to link devices to the speaker. In no possible configuration/combination of devices (ios, android, osx, windows), "source modes" (Optical, Analog, Ethernet) and wireless settings (secured vs. unsecured) is the speaker "seen" by either app, despite the fact that the speaker is always listed among the list of attached devices in the router's settings. The speaker is always assigned a local IP (192.168.1.x), whether wired or wireless, and never does either app acknowledge this and progress through the rest of the setup.

The home is outfitted with FiOS, and has just had its proprietary Verizon router replaced with a Netgear one (Nighthawk X6 R800) specifically to remedy this problem. It has not. Everything has been power cycled. In addition to being essentially out of ideas, I find myself pretty unimpressed with the level of detail in the so-called "owner's manual," the low quality of both apps (and the lack of documentation to explain the differences between them, if any), not to mention their tech support has been unable to solve the problem over the phone. I thought of giving Wireshark a try to see what traffic activity the thing might be generating/ignoring/getting confused by, but I don't actually know how to use the program all that well, or how to interpret what I see.

Any and all help greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

That product is a very high-end, very expensive piece of equipment, which may be why you haven't had an answer since its purchasing base will be limited and there may be no one here with experience of it.
    But to be honest for something in that price band, the first point of contact should be the seller, or the maker. They will have infinitely more technical knowledge to help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds