Defrag freezes my pc

Discussion in 'Software' started by JohnNitro, Oct 7, 2004.

1. JohnNitro

JohnNitro Private First Class

it started today I went to defrag and when it ask for the drive I picked c and then it just froze....also my avg does it scan on its own, when I open it and see if I can scan it doesnt let me....my zone alarm said I wasnt beeing protected by AnitVir it said to install and upgrade so I did and thats fine but what about my pc freezing I tried it 3 times and it freezes everytime
    can I get some help Plz

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Hi Nitro .. a little bit of information on what operating System and computer spec. would help..

3. JohnNitro

Windows ME

memory 126.0mb of ram
    system resources 54% free
    file system 32-bit
    virtual memory 32-bit

4. DaRkKn1qHt

DaRkKn1qHt Private First Class

You might want to try running all these scans in safe mode.

5. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Try pressing control/alt/delete all at same time and you will get a list of programmes running and delete all but explorer and systray (if I remember right) the syst... is the only one there .. then try your defrag..
    this then will give your computer nearly all of you memory at disposal and defrag should work.Dont worry about deleting the progs as they will all return on reboot..

6. JohnNitro

ok thanks Ill try that

7. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

What are the size/s of your hard drive/s, in gigabytes and how much free space in each?
    Does defrag, run then freeze, or just freeze up completely, as you start it up?

Do you know anyone close by with ME?

Maybe installing a fresh ME copy of defrag.exe may help.
    Rename your copy of defrag.exe to defragX.exe. Keep it to 8:3 format in case.
    Install new ME copy into same folder as old copy. C:\windows (in W98SE), probably the same in ME.
    Make sure that it is an ME copy otherwise all hell may break loose.
    I use W98SE so can not say what would work on ME, other than a genuine ME copy. Bazza
    ===

8. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Hi,

Well first your system resourses are way to low and will cause freeze up, so pressing control,alt,delete and closing things will work and let you defrag it is not a permanent solution.

You should be freezing using other applications, if so post back and I am sure we can help.

Rick

9. JohnNitro

it doesnt freeze with other app. but sometime defrag work and other time it freezes so far it has froze again I just ran it to day.......

10. bigbazza

JN, I think there is another post going as well. From memory (pardon the pun), you dont have enough free memory to run defrag. Also another stick or 2 , of RAM, would do wonders. Bazza

===

11. Doby

Doby Sergeant

Exactly, you don't have enough free mem and by using ctrl,alt, delete and closing programs you are freeing up memory.

When you do this does defrag run?

Are there a lot of icons, like 8 or 10 down by the clock?

Right click my computer the click properties, then the performance tab, you want to keep your system resourses above at least 80%.

You can also stop some of thr programs from loading at startup by using msconfig but be careful you don't want to shut your virus scan off,

Rick

12. JohnNitro

when I do crtl alt dlt how do I know what to shut down

13. suesman

suesman First Sergeant

Everything except Explorer & Systray. Also have you tried to run Scan Disk to check for errors on the Hard Drive?

I do happen to have a copy of the Windows ME defrag.exe if someone else could offer an explanation for installing it. I know how to do it, but cain't say that I could explain it very well. I'm not too good at teaching. :rolleyes: I run it on all the 98se machines in the house.

14. JohnNitro

so when I do this and just have explore and sysastry I will have more free space so it does slow down when I'm on the net

15. bigbazza

This is to allow you to run defrag, chkdisk and/or scandisk to check your hard drive. It is not what you use when on the net. Get the defrag problem solved first the we can progress from there. Are you going to install more RAM? Bazza

===

16. JohnNitro

defrag is running good so far no problemas of late....were do I get more ram

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds