defrag prob/chkdsk?

Discussion in 'Software' started by imgnf, Oct 31, 2004.

1. imgnf

imgnf Private E-2

Okay, people, here's the problem. I just recently tried to analyse my drive to see if it needed defraging. But it comes up saying that there are inconsitencies in the drive and I should run chkdsk or scandsk to clear up the insconsitencies. This is a new one for me. Anyone know how to do this, since the help section kind of confused me more? Just simple, clear instructions would be nice. Thanks a lot.
    Windows XP home edition 2002
    Pentium 4
    74.5 GB capacity (51.6 free)
    file system NTFS
    2.66 gh 2.68 ghz 0.99ghz ram
    service pack 2 installed

2. mw7734

mw7734 Private E-2

Click start/ my computer/ right click your hard drive and select properties/ click tools tab/ under Error Checking click "Check Now"

3. YooperLady

YooperLady Private First Class

To do a Scan Disk in XP go, to my computer, and right click on Drive C and go to properties, and tools, and you'll find scan disk there (says check disk now) . It will only do a scan disk on your next boot-up, make sure you tell it to automatically fix file system erroors and scan for recocery of bad sectors. So check both boxes there, reboot then it will run and then afterwards, you can do a defrag. :)

4. imgnf

imgnf Private E-2

Thanks. I tried it before but it didn't do any good. But this time it worked fine. I think it's because I just shut down instead of restarting.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds