defrag & scan disk fails

Discussion in 'Software' started by gman, May 14, 2003.

1. gman

gman Private E-2

Recetly I am unable to run scandisk or defrag from windows 98 se unless I boot to Safe Mode. I figure some program is writing to my HD so these programs keep reseting after each write to the drive. How so I find the culprit that is doing this so I can clean up my HD easier?

Thanks
    Gman

2. Draith

Draith Private E-2

hey,

when i was running 98se i always had that problem. I don't believe i could shut everything down and have it run perfectly. I just always booted into safe mode whenever i wanted to defrag. Sometimes I feel like doing something similar to xp. However i do kill as many processes as possible - including virus scan - before defragging in xp, that way i can get access to as many files as possible.

Interesting thing is, even then there are still some files that are not accessible to defragging by the program because they're in use. I wonder if there is anyway to defrag every file on the disk. suggestions?

o Draith

3. Ciz

Ciz Corporal

I have never had anyproblems with XP and defrag... but grrr... win98 was enough to send me insane... alsmost...

4. King

King Private E-2

Yea, 98's defrag was rough, always restarts. One trick we used to do was edit the 'win.ini' in dos and make 'defrag.exe' the shell! This would make sure nothing else loaded. Also download the WinME defrag.exe, it's much faster so it get's much more done between restarts. Good luck.

5. Robert

Robert Sergeant

Diskeeper Lite (a freebie unless U want to upgrade) beats them all
    Cheers
    Robert

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds