Defrag software with a specific feature...

Discussion in 'Software' started by BigShot, Jan 10, 2007.

1. BigShot

BigShot Private First Class

Hi folks.
    I read somewhere that defragmentation software tends to work in one of two basic ways.

1> Make all files contiguous.
    2> Make all files contiguous and put all of them in a contiguous block at the start of the drive.

I'm looking for the latter. Basically I want one single block of contiguous data, and a single block containing all of my free space.

If anyone can point me in the direction of some software (preferably freeware) to do this job it would be appreciated.

Thanks

BigShot

2. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

diskkeeper and o & o defrag shouold both have this option but they aren't free.

3. manmachine

manmachine Private E-2

Mmmm guess it's useless, since XP always moves the files on boot to put them on the HD start (prefetch). Your data chains will no longer remain contiguous...

4. BigShot

BigShot Private First Class

Coleman - thanks for the names.
    I'll go for one of them if nothing free turns up.

manmachine - I don't really expect things to stay contiguous - I just want to get everything packed down into one part of the drive so I can make things nice and tidy to set up partitions for Linux (I'm about to triple boot so I can work on XP and choose between Ubuntu and openSUSE by trying them both for a while.

Once that is done I'll just set up defragmentation schedules to stay on top of things to a reasonable degree.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Try googling FIPS and NTFS together. Fips used to be the repartitioning software advised for cutting FAT partitions for Linux installs. Fips worked fine for splitting partitions and I believe it just used a command line defrag.exe from a boot disk to move all files to the beginning of the disk.

Fips doesn't work on NTFS but their may be defrag links available for exactly what you want to do.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Check out http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads8.html for lots of Disk Utilities including free, and $$$, defrag programs.

All defrag utilities that I have used, either MS or $$$ ones, have defragged and moved files to the front of the hard drive.
    I thought this was the point of defragging. :D

Bazza

7. Keyser Soze

Keyser Soze Corporal

what is considerthe best defrag software, or software that happens to come with defrag, free or paid

thanks

8. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

For more years than I care to remember, and through lots of versions going back to the olde DOS days, I have used Speeddisk.

Part of Norton SystemWorks package, but it costs $$$.

It has never let me down, and is the main reason I purchased Norton's SystemWorks 2006 Premier package last year. Bazza

===

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds