Defraggler Made My Browser Run Slower?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Michael1980, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Michael1980

Michael1980 Private First Class

hello

i ran defraggler on my OS drive and my 4 internal drives. it took a couple of days to finish the 4 internal drives are all 1.8 TB size. i saw that all were labeled as health good. however i forgot to the percentage they got in the results. i have to look for a log. it was my first time using the program. ever since then my firefox has been slow loading and google has been slow loading as well.

any suggestions? thanks in advance

2. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Can you say what the Operating System, and service pack installed, if any, is on that system, ie Win XP SP2 or 3, Vista SP1 or 2, 7 SP1 or not, 8, 8.1 or 10.
    Please describe the Defraggler options you used on the principle SYSTEM drive.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As well as the very useful information needed from post #2, have you rebooted your PC since the defrag? also does Internet Explorer run slow if you try that browser?
    After a defrag, its very possible depending on how fragmented it was that the odd app may run slow and just a quick re-install of that app can help, kinda in some respects down to what and again this question is asked in post #2 is what defrag method did you use as in options are for Free Space and moving large files to end of drive.

4. Michael1980

hello

my OS is 64bit Windows 8.1. the options i didnt touch and just used default if i remember correctly. 12% fragmention was what the OS system. the rest of the drives was 0%. i used the defrag drives option.

yup i rebooted. internet explorer does run slow. it actually seems to load longer than firefox.

sorry david can you explain what you mean in layman terms that second sentence? i appreciate you two helping me out so far.

5. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Focusing just on FIREFOX, as that was the issue you seem to be most concerned about, uninstall it BUT being careful not to include any profile data, then reinstall it from a fresh download.
    See then if Fx is still slow.
    Personally, on any MS OS from 7 upwards I wouldn't bother using any third-party defraggers. The inbuilt tools are fine and unless you are working on a system with a really tiny system drive, defragging is mostly a waste of time.

6. Michael1980

hello

i dont know how to uninstall firefox with it being careful not to include profile data. can you explain it to me? i kinda get the idea but i dont know how to do it exactly.

ok i will get rid of defraggler and still using "the defragment and optimize your drives" option built into Windows? i have windows 8.1 64bit.

7. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Luckily, the standard Firefox uninstall process wont remove any personal profile data. They have changed it so that it has to be removed manually. I've just tested it on this laptop I'm using.
    So just go to Programs and Features , select Mozilla Firefox and just click on uninstall and wait for that to finish.
    Then just download a new Firefox set up file from mozilla.org, run it and install it and it will open with your existing profile.

This guide explains it too - just ignore the parts about removing personal user data and settings.
    https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/uninstall-firefox-from-your-computer

8. Michael1980

hello

hmm i did what you told me in first paragraph but unfortunately i wasnt able to pick a different profile. no menu after reinstall. but to my surprise firefox browser is working fine again. i think it was ccleaner that i used yesterday. one question which defragment software do you recommend? i think you said the built in one with windows 8.1. hopefully something that won't take days to do its thing like the software i had.

thanks so far!

9. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

I don't understand your first points. Just uninstalling Firefox, then reinstalling it from a new set up file automatically just picks up your already existing profile, that you did not remove.
    It's that simple.
    If you use CCleaner, if you just use its default settings it wont remove bookmarks, saved logins, passwords etc. Try looking at the left-side settings for each application.

For Win 8 onwards I wouldn't use any third party software. The inbuilt defragger is fine:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-8/improve-performance-optimizing-hard-drive
    But as I said earlier, unless your main drive is heavily used up and you are constantly installing/uninstalling software and moving large files, defragging more than once every 6 months doesn't actually achieve anything useful.

10. Michael1980

Hi max

Sorry if I'm annoying u. But based on what u wrote about Firefox I did uninstall then reinstall with a new setup from Firefox site. How do u solve the profile problem I'm having? I looked at the Mozilla Firefox site u linked to.

Thanks I will use Windows defrag.

11. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Hi Michael

Sorry but I have no idea what 'profile problem' you are having.
    In your earlier post you said
    But you wouldn't want to choose a different profile, and anyway that choice isn't available unless you already had multiple different profiles, and if you did you would know that since you would have had to have created them.
    If you just ran the uninstall and then reinstalled Firefox, your profile remained exactly the same as before since it is not changed at all by a simple uninstall of the core program.

12. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

To run Firefox with the ability to add another profile you would type this in the run/search box
    Code:
    firefox.exe -p
    You get a box that pops up and has 3 options on the left: Create profile, Rename profile, Delete Profile.
    You want the first option: Create profile. You then troubleshoot and see if FF works correctly. If it does, you can start importing bookmarks, adding your theme and addons.

13. MaxTurner

MaxTurner Banned

Using the Profile Manager option, it should show 'Default' as an existing profile, ie the one that existed before the uninstall/reinstall of the core program.
    But after a simple reinstall, just launching Firefox should open with that Default profile automatically, and as Michael said it was now running 'faster' - since doing the uninstall/reinstall - it must have opened with that default profile.

14. Michael1980

hey guys

i dont remember where i saw it but there was a way to bring up a profile menu with profile choices to pick.
    ill try that plodr. thanks
    sounds good max. i think i understand now. ill be back later or tomorrow after testing out the advice you guys gave me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds