Degraded RAID ARRAY

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hacked, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Hacked

Hacked Private First Class

Okay I left my PC running last night, not that that has anything to do with the problem, but when I go to it today blue screen. Rebooted and during post RAID 5 Degraded....RAID 5 Error....As if there are 2 separate RAID 5 sets. After OS starts check the Array and find 1 disk has been dropped from the Array...Is it possible to add a disk back to the Array without deleting? Really need help with this one.

2. theefool

theefool Geekified

Do you know which disk on the array, is bad? If so, you can replace it, rebuild the array, and not lose any data. Raid 5, is total drives -1. So, 5 drives -1 = 4 total disk space. Replace that drive, and you should be good to go.

Hence why I like EMC's approach. I can pull a drive from our array, and no problems happen, since it will auto rebuild with another drive that is set for a spare (sorta like raid6). Then, I can replace the drive, and again, rebuild. Though, sadly, EMC is not cheap. :(

3. Hacked

Hacked Private First Class

Well I can kinda see which one has been dropped (2.1) but have no idea which one it is. there are 4: 1.0 : 1.1 : 2.0 : 2.1. I don't think the drive is bad, because of SMART monitoring every hour that has never given any indication of a bad drive. The array it has been dropped to is healthy, for what it's worth. Can I unplug them all and not cause any more harm than what has been done?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds