Delay Problem :(

Discussion in 'Software' started by rambaz, Jun 25, 2008.

1. rambaz

rambaz Private E-2

Wonder if you guys could help me please with a strange problem.
    Firstly I know a good bit about computers/software etc but this one has got me stumped...

Occasionally when I click on any program to open nothing happens, the timer icon shows for a few
    seconds then dissapears. If I then open task manager etc the same happens.
    There's definately no virus on the pc, then after about 1 or 2 minutes the program will open.
    It only happens now and then, maybe once a week but still very annoying.

Another thing I've noticed is bitmaps seem to become corrupt, It won't open in a certain program I use
    yet will open in paint no problem, (it's like the preview of it is corrupt?)

Same thing happened last time I installed windows on the same pc.
    Running Windows XP Pro Corp SP2 with no added updates.

Hard Drive defrag usually ok, but could it be something related ?

Any help on this much appreciated.

TIA :)

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

First: welcome to Major Geeks!
    Second: perform some basic maintenance and tuning up of the PC. The following article is a great start: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650 Running Dial-A-Fix can perform some general fixes that can improve performance and stability: http://www.majorgeeks.com/Dial-a-fix_d4899.html Check the boxes in the Registration Center and click Go. DAF also runs a quick check of the reigstry when it's launched and if any immediate problems are found, you will be alerted. You might also check the Tools section of DAF as there's about 15 additional fixes available that may address the issue. It sounds like you may have something running in the background at certain times that could be using resources. You can click Start > Run and type msconfig and press Enter. In the window that opens, click the Startup tab and disable any items that you don't need running in the background constantly from the moment Windows starts. Chances are, you can disable everything except for your security programs. If you're running Norton or McAfee products, they are famous for being the cause of PC slowness.
    Well, this should be enough to get you started. Let us know how it goes!

[dlb]
    :major

(BTW- you should probably install the Windows updates; install the critical updates only, and I personally don't recommend installing Internet Explorer 7 which will be installed if not removed from the list of available updates; use the Custom option versus the Express option at the start of the update process)

3. rambaz

rambaz Private E-2

Cheers dlb

Downloaded the dial-a-fix, I'll try that later on tonight.
    Funny you should mention msconfig, haven't been in there for a while, just
    the usual NeroCheck, OSA9 etc but one that stands out is -
    rundll32-rundll32.exe bthprops.cpl (bluetooth) I've never had a problem until I got that pen thing, ties in exactly with the last install too right enough.

I'll run those other checks anyway just in case.

Thanks again :cool

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds