Deleted files I shouldn't have...help please

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hollywood, May 20, 2010.

1. Hollywood

Hollywood Private E-2

My wifes computer was having problems and a virus. I ran spybot search and destroy, and deleted some files I guess I shoudn't have.

I started trying to install AVG and it wouldn't let me.

I downloaded all the tools in the read me here on the forum and saved to a cd to place on her computer (which I did save them on her computer)

It won't let me install with the error that keeps coming up saying:"The windows installer service could not be accessed. This can occur if the windows Installer is not correctly installed. Contact your support personnel for assistance".

I have tried to go in and set it to manual, automatic with no success. I tried to download from the microsoft site with no success.

When I had tried to install the AVG the other night it kept telling me This couldnt be done in Safe Mode, and I wasn't in safe mode.

I know I have screwed up, any help is greatly appreciated

I started a post under malware and Tim tried to help me, and said maybe I can get some OS help so that I may continue with the cleanup tools.

Thank you,
    Brent

2. GringoCowboy

GringoCowboy Private E-2

what brand computer is this? what os? do have an instillation disc? you prob need to reinstall the os, easier than trying to fix it perhaps.

3. Hollywood

Hollywood Private E-2

sorry, I forgot to add that.

It's an HP
    Running Vista Home Basic - 6.0.6002 srvc pack 2 build 6002

No We dont have OS disc. It didnt come with one, and I didnt buy one.
    I have tried system restore and everything to no avail

There is a partition with a recovery on it, but can't figure out how to get it to run, since system restore or anything will work.

Brent

4. GringoCowboy

GringoCowboy Private E-2

i have an hp with w7 & if you click start all programs then recovery manager & follow the options to restore your hp back to factory settings.;)

5. Hollywood

Hollywood Private E-2

It says this program will NOT reinstall drivers or the windows Vista OS.....:confused

6. GringoCowboy

GringoCowboy Private E-2

wow. either the virus really has you by the b*lls or you really deleted some files lol. since you don't have a os disc can't access the D partition, call HP <YIKES!!>

7. Hollywood

Hollywood Private E-2

all it says thats on there are programs that came on computer when new......It doesnt reinstall OS or drivers.....

I think I deleted some kinda reg files when I ran the spybot search and destroy...I dunno

8. GringoCowboy

GringoCowboy Private E-2

i think when you first turn the pc on & the blue hp screen appears you have to tap F11 and boot from recovery console. i don't really know. call HP tech support!

9. dyamond

dyamond Imelda Marcos of Majorgeeks

10. Hollywood

Hollywood Private E-2

Thanks dyamond, I tried that and it still doesnt work.....when I try to install sas it gives me the same error

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds